new firearms register system back home ?

bobjs

May i ask if any the lads back home (Scotland) have heard or been told of a new firearms register/system coming in soon?(a change over of systems causing delays)

I have a very good friend who has sacome to some problems with his renewall,he lives back home in Glasgow and one of the reasons given to him was that the FEO whose visited him stated " we have a new firearms register/computer system" coming in soon so you need to blah blah.

He has now been told as he will not have his cert back in time,he will not have a certificate and he will have to store all his rifles/shotguns etc with a RFD, now thats a big problem as he is Registered disabled and the cost of this could cause him problems (IE: holding on to his rifles etc) as the costs of this can be very expensive.

thanks

bob.

they should issue a temporary cert . If not he should demand they pay his storage costs as it's their incompetence that is causing the problem , get quotes from dealers to hit them with.:old:

totally against the home office guidelines ,they are making him certificateless by their own actions .demand a temp certificate asap and report this as a formal complaint to the police commisioner,his msp and get what ever shooting org he belongs to involved.see if the local paper,s interested as a disabled person being victimised by police disorganisation ,not of his doing .see if david from basc has a response /is aware of this register.

I've not heard anything about that ..... and a few local lads, have just applied for and got variations quite fast.

Maybe I will find out when I apply for my renewals.

The only changes I have heard of recently is to RFDs registers heard of no changes to certificate holders, is it possibly anything to do with Police Scotland and the fact that we only have one force throughout Scotland now, there was some talk in the early days of centralising firearm licensing but I just put that down to the rumour mill.

I've not heard anything about that ..... and a few local lads, have just applied for and got variations quite fast.

Maybe I will find out when I apply for my renewals.

Announced on 3rd September (as one of 13 public bills to be introduced 'shortly') is the Air Weapons and Licensing Bill (Scotland).

From what I've read the current NFLMS (UK) system continues for Firearms and Shotgun Licensing as before. This function needs to be integrated with the rest of the country.

Police Scotland will have a separate stand-alone AW licensing system which is now being developed & system tested.

as far as i know . the only change is to us the RFDs .we have to have a electronic register in place by december 2014.
yes there will be a air rifle licence implimented in june 2015.
as far as police updating anything i doubt it. the whole system is slowed down due to the fact that they are understaffed and all the older lads who had a idea of what they were doing have all retired up here in grampian.

steve

Police Scotland will have a separate stand-alone AW licensing system which is now being developed & system tested.

I think this is what she meant when speaking to him ?

so i have sent him a cut and past of some of the comments so far.

thank you

bob.

How are they hoping to police air rifle licensing ? Do they realise just how many air rifles are kicking about, a lot of them completely forgotten about.

How are they hoping to police air rifle licensing ? Do they realise just how many air rifles are kicking about, a lot of them completely forgotten about.

That's going to be a real headache, I don't really have a problem with the licensing of them but how will they manage to police it.

SORRY LADS

im not in the slightest interested in Airguns at this time :(

i am trying so save a mate a lot of bother with his firearms.

thanks

bob.

I spoke with my FEO on Friday and he said the police were moving to a new computer system in two weeks time however they were still processing renewals etc.

Mulac

I spoke with my FEO on Friday and he said the police were moving to a new computer system in two weeks time however they were still processing renewals etc.

Mulac

cheers maluc,

I have sent a load of info to him, but there are a couple of other issues that i am trying to help with,

thanks

bob.

I had a call from the Aberdeen office last week. They are moving to a centralised Police Scotland computer system, rather than individual forces as previously. The call was to try to fill in some blanks in my paper records at Queen Street, primarily of pistols I was obliged to surrender after the ban, in 1997/1998! They had no records of a number of items, I have copies of old FAC and related documents that contained the details requested. I was able to quote dates, serial numbers and the name of the guy signing off the FAC. I was able to answer all his queries and he rang off a happy bunny.

The moral of the story: as we all know, the police record of retaining and filing FAC documentation is of variable quality, to be polite. SO:keep records of EVERYTHING, notifications of acquisition and disposal, variation and renewal applications, your certificates before and after variations are approved, and the applications forms you submit.

Some years ago at a home visit for renewal a very young and clearly novice PC tried to give me a hard time because of a typo in a serial number on the old fashioned typed paper certificate, a 5 had become an S or the other way round when he compared it to the ancient BSA .22 it related to. He first tried to blow this up and suggest I had a different rifle and was thus a criminal mastermind about to be apprehended by a policing genius, then agreed that it might just be a typo, and tried to present it as my fault for not checking the document and verifying it, until I pointed out that it had been signed off by a Chief Superintendent or something similar and told him that I was not going to be liable for clerical errors in his HQ....want to make a problem of it? Your call sonny, you go and point out to the CS that he had missed it. Nothing more heard.

I have some gaps in my paper archive due to limited access to photocopiers where I worked 15 - 20 years ago, but now I have a scanner I can and do keep everything.

Back