Thread: Third outing with the Tikka T-3 Lite in 308

Third outing with the Tikka T-3 Lite in 308

As the title says, I took my recently acquired Tikka T3 Stainless 308 out to the range again today. This time I used 150 grain SST Hornady bullets over IMR 4064 and again, got outstanding results. From the bags I hovered around .5 inches for three shot groups (6 of them) and off hand I was shooting around 6" (and less) in a 15-18 mph cross wind. I didn't chrono the load due to the wind but I'm guessing around 2800 fps. Not blisteringly fast but plenty powerful and more than accurate enough. My cases were Small Base Full Length resized, trimmed to uniform length, flared, loaded and crimped. They will feed through all of my 308's flawlessly. The brass is SBS military.

I am just so very pleased with the Tikka rifles and again appreciative of the seemingly effortless ability to find a good load with this chambering.~Muir

You may have a more difficult time finding a common, proven, consensus .308 load that your T3 won't shoot well.

What kind of scope did you have on it for this ammo testing?
    What scope do you plan to use for hunting?

I still don't have the scope I ordered for my T3 7mm-08, so I am going to put a nice take off scope from another rifle so I can test it properly. This Saturday was perfect, but i had a wedding and out-of-town guests at my house all weekend, so I am itching to get out with this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    You may have a more difficult time finding a common, proven, consensus .308 load that your T3 won't shoot well.

What kind of scope did you have on it for this ammo testing?
    What scope do you plan to use for hunting?

I still don't have the scope I ordered for my T3 7mm-08, so I am going to put a nice take off scope from another rifle so I can test it properly. This Saturday was perfect, but i had a wedding and out-of-town guests at my house all weekend, so I am itching to get out with this thing.
    Ths rifle has a Leupold 3-9 on board but I'm thinking of picking up one a Zeiss Conquest 2-7X. They are a very good scope at a reasonable price. I have an older Conquest 3-9 on my 7-08 that I love.

This particular load -with some shuffling of bullets- is my 'universal' 308 loading. It will function in all my 308's from the AR-10 (hence the SB FL resizing) down the line, up to and including two rifles that do not belong to me but have utilized the same load, loaded on my equipment. MOA or less from all of them. I agree: It will be difficult to find a load that won't work with the Tikka. It is an accurate rifle from the go and demands little of me from the loading bench. ~Muir

Can you still buy a Conquest 2-7X? I handled a Terra 2-7X32 last week for $349.00, and it is really clear and bright.
    I just put a 4-12x40mm AO with 1/8 minute turrets on my T3 to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Can you still buy a Conquest 2-7X? I handled a Terra 2-7X32 last week for $349.00, and it is really clear and bright.
    I just put a 4-12x40mm AO with 1/8 minute turrets on my T3 to check it out.
    Terra. You're right. That was the Terra 2-7X I handled, not a Conquest. ( I looked at a lot of Zeiss that day) For the price they are a superb scope. Made in Japan from what I gather and they are stamped as such on the bottom flat of the turret housing. There is a $50 mail in rebate offer now on those scopes good to Nov 1st I think. That puts them under $300 and Zeiss still stands behind them 100%.

I'm surprised you haven't worn the new off of that 7-08 by now. I just got in from my every-other-day off hand practice with mine. The brass is finally showing signs of work hardening after seven full length resizings. This is brass I formed from SBS military surplus. I won't load this brass again as I have a thousand+ of pieces of once fired 308 on hand and a fresh batch of reformed 308 to 7-08 waiting and ready to load. That last batch lasted a long time.~Muir

$300 for that Zeiss Terra is a good value, as you could spend $1,000 more and not see anything better. At $350, it is twice the price of a Burris FFII E1, which makes me pause, as that is a light and clear scope which works for me.

I have been working a lot, plus 12 to 20 hours in travel by car and plane. There have been beautiful days, but when I am free, it is raining or trying to, with 25 mph winds. Friday and Saturday are supposed to be ideal, so I will run through the factory loads, so I know what to buy if I end up at a hardware store on hard scrabble road in need of ammo. Then, into the hand loads for my other two 7mm-08s.