Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waitrose & Venison

Waitrose & Venison

I was a little surprised to discover on Saturday that most of Waitrose's venison is sourced from New Zealand...

I have written to them but I am disappointed, especially as they own the Leckford Estate, which has deer on it and we all know that at this time of year venison isn't exactly in short supply - unless you are someone I stalk with now and again!!!!

I would welcome views on this, it is not unreasonable that they make an effort to sell UK sourced meat when in season?

P

+1 on that.
    They could go one up on their competitors if they marketed it and labelled it the right way.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Is the veni sold as wild or farmed? If it's wild venison then it gives the cowboys an excuse to fly round the hills blasting all the deer instead of the poor old foot hunter (slightly bitter from previous experiences). I don't know how it is economical. I think the marketing is partially based on NZ's clean green image.
    Cheers,
    Hayden

tesco,s do this with their lamb as well.green my butt all shipped from n.z to the uk .i seem to remember seeing some sheeps when i went to elmer fudds stalking .im sure the welsh farmers wouldnt mind selling 1 or 2 to the half wits

I think that the problem is continuity of supply, they probably have farmed venison from NZ that guarentees that they can meet the supermarket's supply demands whereas wild UK deer supply is probably a bit too haphazard for the supermarket chains.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick A View Post
    I was a little surprised to discover on Saturday that most of Waitrose's venison is sourced from New Zealand...

I have written to them but I am disappointed, especially as they own the Leckford Estate, which has deer on it and we all know that at this time of year venison isn't exactly in short supply - unless you are someone I stalk with now and again!!!!

I would welcome views on this, it is not unreasonable that they make an effort to sell UK sourced meat when in season?

P

You find a supplier that will guarantee a regular supply of anything over a period.

Who on here is going to guarantee 500 roe/red loins every Monday, delivered to one location for six months, all meeting the same size/standard ?

No retail business wants the discard from a recreational stalker. That's why there are Deer Farms.

Now, the wholesale meat trade tends to feed into the local butchers but the public don't use butchers anymore...

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick A View Post

P

I know for a fact that Waitrose buy a great deal of venison from UK deer farms. I assume that it is unable to buy enough and therefore has to go elsewhere.

Having had discussions with both Waitrose and First Venison (a group of UK Deer Farmers who supply Waitrose with venison), I know that Waitrose buy and sell as much UK Farmed venison as they can. They have both the capacity and the desire to deal with much much more. The procurement of NZ venison is to provide the customer with continuity, ie; ensuring there is quality meat on the shelves year round. The bottom line is - if the UK produced more FARMED venison, Waitrose would sell it. It is unlikely we would see wild venison on the super market shelves due to lack of consistency in flavour, size and control etc. People have become accustomed to expect exactly the same in their food whenever they buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi hunter View Post
    Is the veni sold as wild or farmed? If it's wild venison then it gives the cowboys an excuse to fly round the hills blasting all the deer instead of the poor old foot hunter (slightly bitter from previous experiences). I don't know how it is economical. I think the marketing is partially based on NZ's clean green image.
    Cheers,
    Hayden
    100% Clean n Green....Yeah right !That has to be one of the worlds greatest bits of tourism/export propaganda.

I would be interested to hear what price NZ Venison is on your supermarket shelves, cos it is damned expensive in the country of origin

The British people have forgotten seasonal real food unfortunately.

We expect blackberries in April and tomatoes and cucumber 365 days a year.

It's very sad.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.