Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlight recommendations

Headlight recommendations

Hi guys, I am looking for a decent headlight for occasional use and would welcome any recommendations you might have please? I am looking for something of decent quality that is relatively light in weight and that has a decent light output.

Two models I have read about that seem to fit the bill are the Petzl Tikka XP2 (apparently discontinued but still available if you search around) and the Black Diamond Spot headlight. Both of these have good write ups. I am looking for something up to around the 50 mark.

Incidentally, I have read with interest that the manufacturers of the vast majoritory of headlights go on to make claims on the packaging of run times that are highly misleading to say the least. They will quote a max lumen brightness or beam distance and by the side of this put a max run or burn time.

What they conveniently neglect to mention is that the when the maximum burn/ run time is measured, the headlight might only be giving out little more than candle light!.... Hence the appearance of a massively long burn time. In reality the actual burn time at maximum light output might be, as in the case of either of the above, less than a tenth of that stated or even less.. Ie 5-6 hours from 3 AAA batteries, when a max burn / run time of 70 hours or more has been stated.

Indeed the maximum beam distance measured is usually done within 1 minute of fitting brand new batteries...Beam distance degrades rapidly with battery life and can be down by 30% after just a couple of hours of use. The manufacturers having taken measurements that conform to an "agreed" set of specifications then appear to have become inventive with the way this information is displayed and all done without actually breaking the law regarding false advertising.

Rant over.... Recommendations would be greatly appreciated guys.

UPDATE

looking at the Petzl Tikka XP2, they are pretty hard to track down as they are apparently now discontinued, I have found a very good price online if anyone is looking for one. Try joe brown shops, they have them reduced to 29 from 45 ... As long as you don't mind the colour being orange! Postage is free on orders of 30 plus. So you could also order a 2 SPORK ( a cross between a spoon and a fork, to get the free postage)

Outdoor Essentials, Lighting, Head Torches

Last edited by paultap; 14-10-2014 at 18:58.

Hi try on the bay for sniper systems, I bought an excellent headlamp from them about a year ago and for the money it's been really good, long runtime on a charge and does not take forever to recharge, I use it every night to take the dogs out and would recommend it.
    There is a really bright flood with a subdued setting also a long range spot beam and a flashing setting.

ATB WB

LED Lenser, I think mine is the H7. Good spot to flood and a dimmer too

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    LED Lenser, I think mine is the H7. Good spot to flood and a dimmer too
    +1

I have the rechargable version and it's the best head torch I've ever had by miles. I've had some cheap and some expensive.

LED Lenser H7R Rechargeable Head Lamp (Black) - Box: Amazon.co.uk: DIY Tools

I've performed surgery with it a number of times as the sole light source! I hope srvet can't say the same.....

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Or maybe he can....

"Proper lighting is vital during operations and both theatres are fitted with the latest dual head LED operating lights that provide intense, shadow free illumination with excellent colour rendition"

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Or maybe he can....

"Proper lighting is vital during operations and both theatres are fitted with the latest dual head LED operating lights that provide intense, shadow free illumination with excellent colour rendition"

I dont do surgery....only butchery!!

These are my LED theatre lights but they dont fit on my bonce very well!

Attachment 47940

You've either not stated operating or that diathermy is bloody good........

I suppose the endorsement of the little LED Lenser jobbie is that much stronger when you see the light the man is used to.

Tiga. A real headlamp and not a flimsy toy. They are the potholers choice, say no more.

Cluson Hl10, lasts up to 7 hours. Can be recharged from the vehicle or wall socket. Beam is good enough to shoot foxes with out to 100m

Al

Paul

I regularly use the tikka XP and tac tikka , for what I need them for which is illuminating stuff up to 20 feet they are the great . I especially like the red flip filter on them for a small light source at night when out lamping . I feel lost without a caplamp at night.