Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt and rifle number don't match - don't matter?!?

Bolt and rifle number don't match - don't matter?!?

Well, I was a very happy and excitable boy after collecting my new remy 783 30-06, scope, mod, bases, rings etc. Thinking i could be set up by midweek and target shooting by the weekend.

No such luck...

only a few pages in to the owners manual I come across a section stating the bolt head should display the last three numbers of the rifle serial number and that bolts aren't interchangeable. Well...my numbers don't match!

What does this mean?
    Anyone had similar?

i called remy America with no joy and have been punted back to uk supplier. Will also be dropping the RFD a note tomorrow as well as calling supplier. In the meantime, any insight/suggestions/similar experiences would be useful to hear.

Thanks

Defiantly take it back to the dealer who you bought it from ASAP. The rifle will have Been head spaced to the specific bolt that is numbered to it and it alone. It may well not chamber standard ammo or even worse have too much headspace in which case you run the risk of case head separating. Don't shoot it.

You have not been sold a new rifle - at very least bolts have been mixed up somewhere in the supply chain.

It will also likely be out of proof and it is illegal to sell a rifle out of proof.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 13-10-2014 at 22:15.

That sucks. Someone installed the wrong bolt in your rifle.
    Good catch, though.~Muir

SD Regular
    Have you checked that the "other" number is actually the bolt number and not, as on Smith & Wesson revolvers of a certain time an in-house factory inventory/assembly number? Also some shot guns also bear a serial number and elsewhere such inventory/assembly numbers that are a totally different set from the actual true serial number.

I'd take the rifle apart and see if the number on the bolt, the "other" number, actually matches an identical number on other parts of your rifle that is hidden when the rifle is in its woodwork. And that the serial number referred to in the manual is actually that number.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Defiantly take it back to the dealer who you bought it from ASAP. The rifle will have Been head spaced to the specific bolt that is numbered to it and it alone. It may well not chamber standard ammo or even worse have too much headspace in which case you run the risk of case head separating. Don't shoot it.

You have not been sold a new rifle - at very least bolts have been mixed up somewhere in the supply chain.

It will also likely be out of proof and it is illegal to sell a rifle out of proof.
    If it's a mix up at the factory, then by pure luck (especially as it's a rem) it has the correct headspace, or else it wouldn't have passed the uk proof. That being the case, it's nothing to worry about.
    But, if mixed up AFTER proof, it 'could' be a problem, and above cautions apply, take it back anyway

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    i am so glad i dislike remingtons,

un matched bolt and rifle.................wrong headspace...................problems

leave well alone until this is sorted,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Go back to the shop, and hope they were the ones who mixed it all up.
    If it was them it is an easy fix.

Neil.

If they have several Rem 783s in the same caliber or with .308 base sizes it would be easy to get the bolts in the wrong rifle.

Thanks for the advice. It reaffirms my gut feeling of "I aint shooting this til this is sorted"

the guy doesn't stock Remys and got this gun in specially so if there's a mix up my assumption would be it is at the suppliers end. But one shouldn't assume!

will any damage have been caused for cycling through a few rounds with an incorrect bolt? Literally 6 or 7 or would the damage only occur if fired and the bolt is wrong?

are factory rifle barrelled actions really matched to bolts?

I had assumed by the sheer volume that the chambering, tenon length, recoil lug and bolt specifications would be produced so that when they are bolted up they are within a tolerable SAMMI spec
    or at least that a Go-NoGo gauge check would render it passed QC

I have rifles that either have no serial number on the bolt or have one that doesn't match the barrel/action number
    I also have switch barrel rifles that only have one bolt!