Hunting with a Bow in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banned by the Thatcher creature's 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act. But IMHO probably reasonable as whilst a well placed arrow will kill and give certain death a badly placed arrow most definitely won't.

Thanks. I only asked because a Scotsman now living here in NZ, expressed his opinion that it was legal in UK with certain provisos.
I guess he was wrong

I have no ethical objections to bowhunting when carried out by those with similar ethics, however in this part of the world no licence is needed to buy, own or hunt feral animals on private land with a bow. If someone has a criminal record or has been refused a firearms licence, it's no problem to get a bow. Modern archery equipment is very efficient at humainly killing animals when practiced wisely & within ones ability, unfortunately those who do so well, are constantly given a black eye by those who don't, as an example just about every school holidays we are subject to photos in the press of various animals running around with target arrows sticking out of them. Bowhunting has also become the choice of methods by many criminal hunters & there are certain "elements" within the bowhunting community who seem to have misplaced romantic ideas about poaching & Robin Hood. What am I trying to say? Well I guess it is that we shouldn't condem the art of bowhunting itself as a legitimate method of humanly taking game, just that negative culture which arises due to its stealthiness & being a preferred choice as a poaching method. I'd like to see bowhunters themselves become "licensed" hunters, but only to licence themselves, not to waste any time or resources trying to control & register archery equipment (it doesn't work with long arms & would be even more useless with archery gear or spearfishing equipment). Just this small step would at least ensure that bowhunters were members of a hunting org & subject to some education & peer review, not to mention carrying insurance.

Do I believe bowhunting still has a place in todays world? Absolutely!
Would I currently let a bowhunter hunt on my own property? Not likely!

Sharkey

PS.All hunting guides including bowhunting guides in my state are required by law to carry a firearm to humanly dispatch animals as required, so at least we can ensure that our bowhunting guides, through the firearms registry, fall under the same legal & character requirements as every other hunting guide.

Not wishing to drag this thread on and on, but have to take objection to some of sharkeys points, there are as many animals shot badly with rifles as bows, and guides are required to carry a rifle to humanly dispatch them as well.
As to poachers taking to the bow, the most used weapon of choice would have to be the 22 rf with a can fitted.
But I have to agree on the use of bows by idiots using target points, this would be the main reason I would never like to see it legalised in the UK , we have enough idiots running around the countryside with air rifles.
In the UK unlike the USA the masses don,t have the link with hunting to appreciate the skill and respect bow hunting requires.

Not wishing to drag this thread on and on, but have to take objection to some of sharkeys points, there are as many animals shot badly with rifles as bows, and guides are required to carry a rifle to humanly dispatch them as well.
As to poachers taking to the bow, the most used weapon of choice would have to be the 22 rf with a can fitted.
But I have to agree on the use of bows by idiots using target points, this would be the main reason I would never like to see it legalised in the UK , we have enough idiots running around the countryside with air rifles.
In the UK unlike the USA the masses don,t have the link with hunting to appreciate the skill and respect bow hunting requires.

I think you missed the point. The point is that one must have a genuine reason to possess a firearm, in the case of hunters this means being a member of an approved hunting org. Becoming a member of an approved hunting org also means that new hunters are at least exposed to experienced hunters & the culture, the mentoring, & the peer review this provides. Membership & licensing for firearms also includes insurance. Bowhunters in my state undergo no background checks, do not need to be a member of a hunting org or have insurance if they hunt feral animals on private land. There is certainly a very bad element in some bowhunting circles. Licensing would no doubt weed out some of the bad eggs, however I would not like to see further restrictions on archery gear, or the pointless registration of archery equipment. My other point is that at least we can regulate the character & maintain a high standard in bowhunting guides as they require a firearms licence to become a hunting guide.

If you think I lack experience & skill to make such calls, I first joined Manly Bowhunters in 1976, was in the Aust target archery team in the mid 80's (also the first to shoot a 1300 plus FITA in a tournament in Aust), I also chair one of the two professional hunting orgs down here & sit on the NSW Parliamentary advisory committee on firearms representing professional hunters & shooters. Is that enough skill & respect to comment, or would you like more?

One more thing, IMO someone has far more potential to wound an animal with a bow than a firearm. Firearms require less skill to use & have greater margins for error. Sorry but you opened the door yourself for me to make that statement, its based upon experience, not a predetermined idea or opinion. Also, if someone down here is poaching with a 22 & a can, the weight of the law will be far more severe than from poaching with a bow, poachers are aware of this, so you can guess the tool of choice in many cases.

Sharkey

Last edited:
not legal but I see no reason why it couldn't become legal in controlled (enclosed environments) where the hunter is IBEP and there is provision for tracking and dispatch quickly if required. Denmark made very good and sound progress in this area.

not legal but I see no reason why it couldn't become legal in controlled (enclosed environments) where the hunter is IBEP and there is provision for tracking and dispatch quickly if required. Denmark made very good and sound progress in this area.

I would agree. However I think the advocates for this like Taff need to understand the processes required to make these changes, including shifting the continuum of acceptability positively before a legislative change could be expected. Those who already hunt with other methods would be the easiest to sway I would think, so making statements like "there are as many animals shot badly with rifles as with bows" is a black eye for bowhunters & doesn't do much to encourage support, even amongst those already the most sympathetic towards bowhunting.

Sharkey

that's very true and it's a case that if the hunting community can't agree that it could be a positive then what chance will there be to sway public opinion and legislation. If people look at the cases presented in other European mainland areas they will see it does actually work and strangely is in principal generally more ethical than rifle hunting here. I know that seem 'stupid' but think about the requirements to have access to a deer dog there and the responsibility for ethical and humane hunting is placed squarely on the hunter.

Here there's not those stringent requirements for stalkers to follow up and find the animal if shot/shot at.

It is not legal here, these threads always end badly, therefore ENOUGH!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back