Thread: 243 reloading starting info

243 reloading starting info

I will reload for the first time ever this week. I will use Hornady bullets, Ramshot Hunter Powder, Norma once fired brass and CCI magnum primers (n 250 )
    A friend, who reloads for more than a decade, will help me.

For the 75 grain bullet the data say : 43.8 starting load / 48.7 max load.

The man in the shop advised me to load a few loads with 1 grain in between. Using the best shooting load as the next step. Work around ( higher and lower ) this load in steps of 0,2 grain to optimise the best shooting load in my rifle.

Can I safely load 3/4 rounds from 44 , 45 , 46 , 47 , 48 grains ? How do I proceed ?

The method that I have used when starting from scratch is to divide the process into two separate units.

First load a small amount of each weight of powder, increasing by 0.5 grain up to the published maximum load.
    Shoot each load through the chronograph and check for any signs of pressure, before moving on to the next heavier charge.
    Once you know which loads are safe in your particular rifle, move to stage two.

Load ten rounds of those that meet your velocity requirements and try them for best grouping.

Uses a lot of powder and bullets, which is one of the reasons why shooters who have a worked up good load are reluctant to change components.
    Good luck.

you should buy or download a good reloading manual and start learning from scratch. learning by doing in reloading is dangerous and the little time spent behind the books in the evening will serve you well for years.

taking people's suggestions online on loads, starting, max, etc. is also dangerous as no one is to say someone elses loads are safe, or safe in your rifle, etc.

From my experience accurate loads tend to be in the upper half of the manufacturers data range.
    shooting large numbers of lower charge loads to find accuracy nodes for your rifle is a waste unless you are specifically looking for a lower velocity load

IMO (and there will be others who disagree or do it differently) there are at least two basic ways to approach this.

1) Ladder loads
    load a range of charges with circa 0.5gr increments (9-10 shots on your range)
    factory/BOOK OAL
    shoot them all at ideally 300 yds and find the concurrent loads that have the lowest vertical deviation (further the better as the deviation will show up more obviously a video camera helps)
    Repeat this from the opposite direction if you need to(i.e. if you start low load to high, do it again high load to low)
    You will hopefully find one of two pairs or even threes that stand out

Informative video on internal ballistics and barrel harmonics - accuracy nodes

choose that charge level and play around with seating depth and fine tuning of charge weight either side in smaller increments to tune if required.

2) Charge Weight vs Group Size
    increments and number of shots per group is a personal choice
    I go with 0.5 and 0.2gr increments
    I shoot three shot groups to get a feel for which one is more accurate
    Alter OAL on the ones that look the best for fine tuning
    I also move through the lower half of the manufacturers charge range with often just a single or pair of shots to demonstrate that their are no pressure signs or issues.

My interest is in the ones in the upper half that produce the desired velocity range and that is where the group numbers will increase to produce better average results

What do you all think of Dan Newberries Optimum Charge Weight method?
    OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    you should buy or download a good reloading manual and start learning from scratch. learning by doing in reloading is dangerous and the little time spent behind the books in the evening will serve you well for years.

taking people's suggestions online on loads, starting, max, etc. is also dangerous as no one is to say someone elses loads are safe, or safe in your rifle, etc.
    Agreed. I know people who have reloaded for 20 years but I wouldn't allow them to show me anything.
    As to loads. Unless you are a steely eyed rifleman who will not nerve up on the first few shots, I'd load 10 at the starting load. And ten the next step up. Three shots won't tell you much. Just do the first steps and get used to them before you decide (or not) to move on.~Muir

Not sure the load data refers to a magnum primer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    I will reload for the first time ever this week. I will use Hornady bullets, Ramshot Hunter Powder, Norma once fired brass and CCI magnum primers (n 250 )
    A friend, who reloads for more than a decade, will help me.

For the 75 grain bullet the data say : 43.8 starting load / 48.7 max load.

The man in the shop advised me to load a few loads with 1 grain in between. Using the best shooting load as the next step. Work around ( higher and lower ) this load in steps of 0,2 grain to optimise the best shooting load in my rifle.

Can I safely load 3/4 rounds from 44 , 45 , 46 , 47 , 48 grains ? How do I proceed ?

Advised to me by the gunshopowner. As being more consistent with low temperatures. The quickload program gives 45 grains as nominal load for this exact bullet. Does the magnum primer gives higher pressures?