Tolerances

palmer_mike

Just wondering what I should be content with in terms of tolerances while reloading.
is measuring powder charges to the closest .010 grain close enough?
how close should oal be from round to round, as there is some variation in my reloads with sp bullets.

i don't have a comparator so can't measure rounds from head to ogive (I'd prefer to do this but am too tight to buy a new comparator and can't find a second hand one, lol)

this is is for stalking rounds only

I'm reasonably happy with +- 0.1 grain of powder and +- 0.002 inches on seating a round. Clearly your skills, your kit, your measuring tools and your brass prep approach all have an impact on what can be consistently achieved.

What I'm looking for during my load development process is to identify a sweet spot for a given load that has some tolerance to variations in neck tension, powder weight and bullet seating position.

I'd suggest if funds are an issue that you don't bother reloading.

Regards

JCS

Last edited:
i don't have a comparator so can't measure rounds from head to ogive (I'd prefer to do this but am too tight to buy a new comparator and can't find a second hand one, lol)

this is is for stalking rounds only

use half a sized case, slotted for the caliper

as for what I am happy with....
one shot kills with no running

the rest is mental masturbation

No mod case ? then resize a case with no primer so a dummy that you can keep , place a bullet in the neck but leave in as long as you can before it falls out,use a black maker pen colour the bullet only and let dry place round in chamber by hand then slowly close the bolt all the way home ,then slowly remove the same way do'nt let the round eject ,you will see at what point the round is marked at the point it meets your lands and this is the max the round will go in so its been pushed back in the empty case, this is your col of your rifle for this bullet as you will take you data from the meplet to the head, then come back say 10 thou or more and do your load up ladder.

Back