One Show - Buzzards Killed

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
On now... Dead buzzards found around a church, turned out to be nesting peregrines defending territory! :eek:

For once poisoning not blamed ;)

Turns out that they were nesting in the bells. The ringers turned up for practice after having the summer off, and well, you know the rest...

Off topic a bit but it turns out that I have some cannibal rats which I am not looking forward to trying to sort out. Caught one in a trap yesterday and it was half eaten a couple of hours later. Yuk.

Off topic a bit but it turns out that I have some cannibal rats which I am not looking forward to trying to sort out. Caught one in a trap yesterday and it was half eaten a couple of hours later. Yuk.

Had that before. Within 15 minutes too!

Bit random, h, but yes, rats do that. We rent our offices off the port and they had a problem in the grain store with err... rodents. They ended having to use glue traps due to obvious food safety/poison constraints. The result was the same... Pretty nasty. I should add patrols were frequent for dispatch purposes but they are opportunists and they are quick/intelligent.:confused:

Bit random, h, but yes, rats do that. We rent our offices off the port and they had a problem in the grain store with err... rodents. They ended having to use glue traps due to obvious food safety/poison constraints. The result was the same... Pretty nasty. I should add patrols were frequent for dispatch purposes but they are opportunists and they are quick/intelligent.:confused:

I spent over a decade in labs, working as personal licencee on various species - back in the nineties when we still used grid floor cages, rather than the more modern plastic with woodchip, then it was common to have five rats in a cage, each weighing 800g-1kg

Was not unusual to get cannibalism, find half a dead rat in the morning - on the odd occasion you'd just find one missing with a few bone and skin fragments on the tray liner below :eek:

Back