Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Variation Advice Please

Variation Advice Please

I have applied for a variation on my firearms. I have asked for a 243.

I have also sent in 2 permission letters to use the new rifle on.

One of the permissions has deer on and one doesn't.

The reason I put on my application is for Deer, Fox and Vermin. The firearms dept is happy for me to have the 243, but I can only shoot fox whilst out stalking.

The 2nd piece of land that I have doesn't have deer on it, so they have told me to add .22CF to the variation to cover this.

Do I just accept the .22CF variation or argue the issue with them. I will be ringing BASC again tomorrow as well.

Many thanks,

Sion

Quote Originally Posted by Bootneck45 View Post
    The reason I put on my application is for Deer, Fox and Vermin. The firearms dept is happy for me to have the 243, but I can only shoot fox whilst out stalking.
    This is a total nonsense and BASC will confirm it. Have a read of the HO Guidance 'Good Reason' section plus get the two 'Conditions' downloads from the firearms section of the BASC website, and it will become clear that they do not have any reason to try and restrict you in this way. If they try and push it, then ask for their reasoning in writing and you might find they will see sense.

Here's what BASC actually advise:

"If the police wish to attach a condition which only allows the shooting of foxes “whilst deer
    stalking”– strongly resist it, as this is not following Home Office guidance and it is
    unnecessarily restrictive condition."

The 2nd piece of land that I have doesn't have deer on it, so they have told me to add .22CF to the variation to cover this.

Do I just accept the .22CF variation or argue the issue with them. I will be ringing BASC again tomorrow as well.
    If you and/or BASC point out the good reasoning behind having the .243 conditioned for Fox (not just when out stalking) then it should negate their insistance for a .22CF - unless of course you would like one as well. If you think about it, why are they trying to get another uneccessary firearm into circulation when the one calibre will do the two jobs?

Which force is this?

BTW. You should be able to get your .243 condition for 'deer and any other lawful quarry'. It's a condition that has now been advised to all force firearms departments by ACPO FELWG and they should be adopting it's use. Again it's on the BASC download so you could print off a copy and give it to the FEO/FLO and ask them to use it.
    Last edited by Orion; 01-03-2010 at 18:19.

county

Its Cheshire.

Over to Finnbear I think?

OH GOD!, Cheshire........... which trolley collector or shelf stacker have you drawn?, Speak to Mike Eveleigh straight of, or if not available ask for Mr booth.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Cheshire

Thanks for the advice guys.

This is the jist of it:

I spoke with BASC about it and they said that Cheshire were a bureaucracy unto themselves and they won't budge on the matter.

I have spoke with the FEO, basically he has told me that this is the way they do it know (BASC won't approve).

I have to put in another variation for .223 as well as the .243, because I wouldn't get the 243 for fox.

Mad as a box of frogs!!

Rrrhhiddipp!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

And what are BASC doing about the situation? Sitting on hands?

If they are constantly doing this the question has to be why isn't a test case being put together?
    Last edited by Orion; 02-03-2010 at 19:56.

SD Regular
    So they want you to have TWO rifles and TWO lots of ammunition instead of ONE rifle and ONE lot of ammunition? Crazy! Maybe if you were also to speak with your MP about this and using that argument and ash him or her to assist it might help.

Might it be worth writing to the boss FEO explaining your circumstances and pointing out that his application of the 'and other lawful quarry' condition, as approved by ACPO, would be enormously helpful: removing the need to carry two rifles about at once, for one thing.

FEOs still have to behave reasonably in their application of conditions, and it might be worth gently making that point if they still decline to do what appears to be the right thing; as well as asking him what his objecton to the use for fox of the obviously vermin-suitable .243Win.