Thread: imperial kksp

imperial kksp

hi ,, any body tried these. just got some in 7x57. 160 gr kksp. never had theses before. are they any good . only got them because they where cheap. and only these available at the time.

Is this make known by any other name? At the moment you have me a bit confused because I can't place the brand or manufacturer.
    What does KKSP stand for?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

It wouldn't by any chance be Kling Kor Soft Point made by the Dominion Cartridge Company of Canada?
    If so you may be better off saving them for the museum as I believe that Dominion went out of business many moons ago. If it's just the bullets and not ammunition then there will be no problem using them.

Imperial was the same company as Dominion , I don't remember when they rebranded the name . They stopped production , I believe , in the early to mid eighties . It was decent ammo in it's day . I used it in my 6.5X55's ( 160 gr kksp ) as it was all I could get back in the day , they worked well on everything I shot . My dad used the 215 kksp's in his No 4 Lee Enfield for many years , I can never remember him shooting more than once , he swore by them .

As 8X57 says , they're more of a collectors item these days , though if they've been stored properly they would be safe to shoot . All in all , I might just keep them to look at as they did have some problems with improperly annealed brass towards the end of production .

AB

got 200 of them in nice condition in cardboard boxes. i only needed the cases 7x57. but these came cheap so i got them. it says made in Canada on the box. they are as new in boxes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141015_163901.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	47979
    Last edited by macandels; 15-10-2014 at 15:55.

From what I have just read on the internet Imperial finally ceased production in 1991 so the youngest these cartridges can be is 23 years old.
    Which if they have been stored correctly and were manufactured correctly in the first place shouldn't be a problem. I would be a bit cautious though and suggest careful inspection of the cases prior to reloading as alberta boys says that some weren't annealed properly. Maybe worth doing it yourself??

i have opened a few boxes ,, and they look ok to me . the brass is a bit dull but there's no corrosion .

Quote Originally Posted by macandels View Post
    i have opened a few boxes ,, and they look ok to me . the brass is a bit dull but there's no corrosion .
    If it looks OK I'd try a few rounds , it's not that old . I remember the black and gold boxes from the eighties , I've shot older . If something doesn't seem right after a couple of rounds I'd stop and have a think . It's not my rifle , but I'd give them a go , but proceed with caution and check carefully for any cracks in the cases . Sorry if I seem a little un-committed , but I don't like suggesting something that might be unsafe . Good luck .

AB

I think your caution ab is very wise. I have seen some old wartime ammo used that has been fine with no problems whatsoever and also some of slightly later manufacture that have been very brittle and have cracked on first firing.
    The way that I personally would go is that if on first firing the cases survived with no problems at all I would possibly think of annealing them prior to reloading.

I'm wondering why you didn't go for Prvi Partizan ammo macandels as the brass is pretty good for reloading?

my local shop dident have any ppu or any other cases. and im a bit short on cases ,,, so thought i would give these a go ,just for the cases. but if its ok when fired its a bonus.