Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is it me ????

is it me ????

Attachment 47965I have been out this evening to re zero with some factory ammo. I have had inconsistency problems with my parker hale in 308 and so I thought I could eliminate one variable by using factory loads rather than home loads.
    Well the first three shots were near touching. I was quite surprised (75 yards off of a bench bag). I let it cool for twenty minutes or so and fired another two shots and they were slightly left so i adjusted the scope to come nearer the point of aim and fired 3 more shots with minor adjustment in between.
    I let it cool again and put a new target up. And the old problem appears again. It shot high and right by several inches. So I followed up with three more shots. Which crept down and left.
    Is it me or the gun. But more importantly will the rifle be zeroed to the right point next time I use it.

Regards pete
    Last edited by pj1; 14-10-2014 at 20:26.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Have you been cleaning your rifle?
    have you checked barrel clearance?
    Have you checked that scope is tight and action too?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Scope and action tight. Pushed through after each outing but not scrubbed. Barrel isn't floated but was made that way and not wanting go down that route really. Was really pleased with the first group. (they are half inch squares) and if it was where I was aiming would of left alone and been very confident in I but adjusted scope to point of impact with two further acceptable shots then it goes all off and it blows your confidence right out the water

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Scope and action tight. Pushed through after each outing but not scrubbed. Barrel isn't floated but was made that way and not wanting go down that route really. Was really pleased with the first group. (they are half inch squares) and if it was where I was aiming would of left alone and been very confident in I but adjusted scope to point of impact with two further acceptable shots then it goes all off and it blows your confidence right out the water
    What is the scope? Are you having parallax issues?~Muir

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Change your scope
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Scope is a pecar champion 6 x 45. Not having parallax issues. I had a Nikon monarch on this rifle but struggled to get good eye relief and put that down to inconsistent groups

Am I right in thinking that most sporting rifles will shift zero after a few shots when the barrel has warmed. When the barrel is cold on the next stalk / trip should it have returned to the original zero even if the barrel is not floated

Yeah POI will shift with a warm barrel, floated or not.

How does the crown look?

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Yeah POI will shift with a warm barrel, floated or not.

How does the crown look?
    That's a gross generalisation. Some rifles may exhibit a shift or opening up of groups as they heat up. How hot is "hot"?

Assuming the bedding screws etc are tight, I would start with the scope...
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Crown looks ok and even / uniform. The rifle although built in the early 80s has had from what I can see is very little use and if I can get it to group like the first five shots did I will be well pleased but it always seems to leave me with a little dought in my mind

I let it cool for about 20 minuets after the first 3 shots to then take four and five. Between each group except the last three shots I let the rifle cool to what was not stone cold but certainly cooler than my hands

If it were the scope would it group like the first 5 shots then after after adjustment be shifting zero. Never had a broken scope before so don't know how they behave. Do they shift as each shot is fired or is it not an exact science
    Last edited by pj1; 15-10-2014 at 21:07.