Remington: serial number not matching bolt

melgalvis

Gentlemen

yesterday I picked up my new remy 783 30-06. All fine and dandy until I read the manual which stated the inscribed number on the bolt head should match the last three digits of the rifle - MINE DID NOT; the manual stating bolts are NOT interchangeable.

I contacted the dealer and he received a response from the supplier stating that it has been proofed and is perfectly safe to use.

I've already posted a similar thread on this matter but was advised to post something more specific, asking:

Is it normal for a remy to have differing numbers? Or are all "yours" the same?

Any general comments from people who know remys?

please no slanderous comments on what I should have bought!

thanks

Bump to the top for Melgalvis

Any of you Remmy owners shed any light on whether your bolts have the same serial numbers as your rifles?

ES

Ive worked on several Remington's over the years (mainly model 700's and a few 7's)

Not seen a 783 though it looks a hybrid of a few European designs ...

However, the bolt and action serial numbers are usually the same - the last three numbers are engraved onto the underside of the bolt in a non wear place.

The dealer may have mixed up and put the rifle in the box using one rifle and a bolt from another - it may also have occurred at the factory when the rifle was packaged.

"the rifles been proofed"

All well and good if the rifle was sent to proof as you have it now.

But if its been to proof as an action with correct bolt and the bolt you have in another action there MAY be an issue with headspace- and I repeat MAY be.

Simple checks:

Does the action and bolt bear the same proof marks (Birmingham or London)

If the same then you could check with either to see if the rifle was proofed in the form you have it - they will have a record of serial numbers and dates.

You could ask the dealer if he had a 783 with the serial number suffix of the bolt...

You could ask Edgar Brothers if they have supplied the dealer with two rifles (one with action serial number xxxx the other with bolt suffix number xxx)

You could also have the headspace checked using headspace gauges

Have you shot it before you noticed, if so were there any unusual markings on the ejected brass to indicate a problem.

What was the accuracy like

Etc etc

That's all very useful info red mist - thank you

the response from dealer was "Having spoken to SMK the importers and suppliers of this gun and they have checked other guns in stock and they do not have matching numbers.All guns arrive boxed and do not get separated from there bolts according to them."

I doubt the dealer mixed these up as he ordered this in specifically for me and does not stock Remington.

Im very new to all of this but in short if i check the proofing details (call Birmingham/London) as you describe then this gun IS safe to use?

It has not yet been fired and I'm sceptical to do so until I know it is safe.

i will phone dealer to check headspace.

I have to say that if it was me I would send it back and get something different. Howa, CZ Xbolt something in the same price bracket. I don't think you are ever going to be completely confident because the difference will always be in the back of your mind. This will affect both your shooting and your enjoyment.

David.

If the rifle has been through UK proof like this, and passed, is there an issue?

If the rifle has the headspace checked with the supplied bolt and it conforms, again, is there an issue?

It may not be an issue, although presumably they go off in bulk for proof and there is then a chance for the bolts to be mixed up when they go back to the importers, but more a confidence/belief sort of thing.

David.

Reading this post i checked my Rem 700 .243 bolt and low and behold yip they don't match my action?? the barrel and bolt have the Birmingham proof marks, i will be onto the shop in the morning. If any of you guys have my bolt i want it back:( last 4 numbers 4374 i can swap you a bolt with 6043 lol

Last edited:
Just checked my 3 Rem700's and Serial No's matched.
I must say that the .300 win mag action is old but the other 2 are maybe 5 years old and were supplied by Edgar Bros

Spoke to the shop he tells me my bolt came with the rifle as they don't get separated, he also checked five Rems of various cals four had no numbers on the bolt one did and that never matched these where S/H rifles. Also spoke to Birmingham proof house they tell me this is the case if it as had a new bolt ser-no: won't match but as long as there proof marks are there not to worry.

is it just me but if it didn't matter then why bother putting the same number as a rifle on the bolt ? I will check mine tonight , if they don't match I won't worry because it's many thousands of rounds too late , I wonder if this is just remmys or do other makes not worry about serial numbers matching?

The problem is nobody knows when and if the bolts have been mixed up. I would personally take it to a good rifle smith to have it checked out. If only for peace of mind if nothing else.

Al

Last edited:
To take a step back, the OP is not particularly experienced with rifles (certainly not enough to know what would be dangerous/safe etc, or to fiddle around with no go guages etc) and has bought a new gun.

Quite simply, whilst there are many ways of determining if this is safe or not etc etc, why should he? If it was second hand, there's a case for this.

It is a NEW GUN and he's not happy with it. The gun dealer should take it back and provide an alternative or a refund. There should be no trying to tell him it should be ok, he has every right to a refund.

All very interesting responses guys; thank you!

It seems all other makes have matching numbers (granted, that is based on the limited number of replies in relation to this thread)

As for Remy's it seems the numbers may or may not match in S/H rifles. Mine is not S/H - first concern. No one is able to tell me when the 'mis-match' occurred; pre- or post-proof - second concern.

I had another member state that he is experiencing brass markings on Remy which has mismatched numbers - Is this what is meant as (potentially the start of) head space separation?

I have had NO response from the supplier after sending an email requesting a more formal document guaranteeing a number of areas that concerned me: see above.

As essexsussex states, I am inexperienced with rifles, but I have had enough experience of poor customer service, lack of confidence in products, and above all following my gut feeling...and on this occasion, it's telling me no!

Disappointed and frustrated...but I'd rather be safe!

My grandson has a Remington 770 purchased new the only number on the bolt is 77 does not in any way correspond to the rifle number,probably alludes to the model number nothing more.

On the Ruger,CZ and Tikka's I've had, the rifle and bolt serial numbers match.
As I've said,the item does not conform to the makers manual wording. Doesn't matter whether it's a rifle or a widget.
If customer service matters to the seller he will see you alright with a refund or order a rifle of your choice with cash adjust if needed.It still leaves you with the one-for-one to deal with fac wide.
Most unsatisfactory,hope you can resolve it and enjoy your shooting.
I've never fancied a Remington,even less now.

Back