Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .222 to .243 variation

.222 to .243 variation

Hi All

Was hoping you could give me some advice, please

I love my .222 and have shot more than a few foxes with it.

I plan to do a lot more stalking so am obviously a bit limited with the rifle I have got. Hence I want to move to a .243.

I have an open ticket.

Does anyone know the criteria for moving from a .222 to a .243?

Will the FO require their to be deer on my land to upgrade?

Appreciate any advice

Gyr

Hi Gyr,
    the simple answer is NO. I had no ground at all when I first got my FAC. I produced a letter, or invite to stalk on a mates ground, which gave me a reasonable "need" for a deer legal calibre. I don't want to teach my mum to suck eggs here, but why a .243? I was advised by my local Bobby that .243 was all they would allow me. Two years later I was asking for a variation for a bigger (7x64) to hunt wild boar and the larger species of deer. The point I'm trying to make is, Had I brought a 6.55x55 or similar, I would only have had to buy the one rifle to do both jobs. If you've done your homework, and a .243 is all you will ever need then go for it, just a thought.
    Kind regards,
    Mark

up to 243

Hi Gyr,
    I think marks advice is good. I would keep my .222 and get a 7mm or 270 or 6.5 or 30 cal for deer.

You don't need the ground to have deer on it. It is appreciatted that many stalkers stalk on payment or invite. I would have to say that a bigger than 243 cal might be better for you as it will be more suitable (in my opinion) to all of the deer you will find.

I have a 7mm08 and it is a super round.

Where in the country are you? I can help you out with an invite for some stalking.

swampy

Hi Mark and Swampy,

Thankyou for your advice, it is very much appreciated.

I have shot with .243 and .270.
    Anything larger is unknown territory for me .

What in your opinion would be a good calibre to have for fox and all the deer species (and boar?) in the u.k? (if i decided to part with the .222 and just have one large calibre rifle).

Would the fo prefer it if i used a .22 centrefire for fox on my land locally and a larger calibre for deer on stalking forays or would they rather i just had the one large calibre rifle?

I apologise for asking too many questions but i would be a lot happier getting the right advice from people who have a lot more stalking knowledge and experience than myself (i.e you guys) before i speak to the fo.

Swampy I live in shropshire.

Kind Regards

Gyr

hi gyr
    not thats it's my buissnes but money has a huge bearing on this, if you can afford 2 rifles i would look at either a 25-06 or 6-5x 55 and definately a 30-06 as these will easily cope with what ever animal you can throw at them or if is just one rifle i would go for a 7mm or the 30-06 bearing in mind the 30-06 is my calibre of choice a great fox and deer stopper
    kind regards stone

Quote Originally Posted by stone
    hi gyr
    not thats it's my buissnes but money has a huge bearing on this, if you can afford 2 rifles i would look at either a 25-06 or 6-5x 55 and definately a 30-06 as these will easily cope with what ever animal you can throw at them or if is just one rifle i would go for a 7mm or the 30-06 bearing in mind the 30-06 is my calibre of choice a great fox and deer stopper
    kind regards stone
    My local constabluary won't allow anything bigger than a .243 for fox unfortunately. They follow Home Office guidelines which basically say anything bigger and your'e "overgunned". So watch out for that...

All the best.
    Jared

i had plod round the other night for a .308 variation, i asked for deer and fox but had to settle for "while stalking" for the fox. i have .243 for deer and fox.

he is going to open it up for me though.

What can we call this "sport" of ours?
    i.e that of trying to get what we want on our f.a.c?
    Isn't the olympics soon?......

Quote Originally Posted by stone
    hi gyr
    kind regards stone
    All fair comments Stone, BUT. Be sure you will never want to shoot in France or Portugal (there may be others) as 30.06 is not allowed there.
    Mark

good point that mark
    what is the calibre of choice in these countries as i hav never been hunting there ? or any where else on the continent or in the world except south africa
    ATB
    stone