.222 to .243 variation

Gyr

Hi All

Was hoping you could give me some advice, please

I love my .222 and have shot more than a few foxes with it.

I plan to do a lot more stalking so am obviously a bit limited with the rifle I have got. Hence I want to move to a .243.

I have an open ticket.

Does anyone know the criteria for moving from a .222 to a .243?

Will the FO require their to be deer on my land to upgrade?

Appreciate any advice

Gyr

Hi Gyr,
the simple answer is NO. I had no ground at all when I first got my FAC. I produced a letter, or invite to stalk on a mates ground, which gave me a reasonable "need" for a deer legal calibre. I don't want to teach my mum to suck eggs here, but why a .243? I was advised by my local Bobby that .243 was all they would allow me. Two years later I was asking for a variation for a bigger (7x64) to hunt wild boar and the larger species of deer. The point I'm trying to make is, Had I brought a 6.55x55 or similar, I would only have had to buy the one rifle to do both jobs. If you've done your homework, and a .243 is all you will ever need then go for it, just a thought.
Kind regards,
Mark

up to 243

Hi Gyr,
I think marks advice is good. I would keep my .222 and get a 7mm or 270 or 6.5 or 30 cal for deer.

You don't need the ground to have deer on it. It is appreciatted that many stalkers stalk on payment or invite. I would have to say that a bigger than 243 cal might be better for you as it will be more suitable (in my opinion) to all of the deer you will find.

I have a 7mm08 and it is a super round.

Where in the country are you? I can help you out with an invite for some stalking.

swampy

Hi Mark and Swampy,

Thankyou for your advice, it is very much appreciated.

I have shot with .243 and .270.
Anything larger is unknown territory for me .

What in your opinion would be a good calibre to have for fox and all the deer species (and boar?) in the u.k? (if i decided to part with the .222 and just have one large calibre rifle).

Would the fo prefer it if i used a .22 centrefire for fox on my land locally and a larger calibre for deer on stalking forays or would they rather i just had the one large calibre rifle?

I apologise for asking too many questions but i would be a lot happier getting the right advice from people who have a lot more stalking knowledge and experience than myself (i.e you guys) before i speak to the fo.

Swampy I live in shropshire.

Kind Regards

Gyr

hi gyr
not thats it's my buissnes but money has a huge bearing on this, if you can afford 2 rifles i would look at either a 25-06 or 6-5x 55 and definately a 30-06 as these will easily cope with what ever animal you can throw at them or if is just one rifle i would go for a 7mm or the 30-06 bearing in mind the 30-06 is my calibre of choice a great fox and deer stopper
kind regards stone

stone said:
hi gyr
not thats it's my buissnes but money has a huge bearing on this, if you can afford 2 rifles i would look at either a 25-06 or 6-5x 55 and definately a 30-06 as these will easily cope with what ever animal you can throw at them or if is just one rifle i would go for a 7mm or the 30-06 bearing in mind the 30-06 is my calibre of choice a great fox and deer stopper
kind regards stone

My local constabluary won't allow anything bigger than a .243 for fox unfortunately. They follow Home Office guidelines which basically say anything bigger and your'e "overgunned". So watch out for that...

All the best.
Jared

i had plod round the other night for a .308 variation, i asked for deer and fox but had to settle for "while stalking" for the fox. i have .243 for deer and fox.

he is going to open it up for me though.

What can we call this "sport" of ours?
i.e that of trying to get what we want on our f.a.c?
Isn't the olympics soon?......

stone said:
hi gyr
kind regards stone
All fair comments Stone, BUT. Be sure you will never want to shoot in France or Portugal (there may be others) as 30.06 is not allowed there.
Mark

good point that mark
what is the calibre of choice in these countries as i hav never been hunting there ? or any where else on the continent or in the world except south africa
ATB
stone

Hi Stone,
The Italians like the 30.06 and the 7mm of various types. I'm not sure how easy 7mm ammo would be in africa or the USA, but I'd probably take it with me if I ever go. Had I not already got a .243 I would have gone for the6.5x55, but you live and learn as they say.
Mark

Hi Gyr
You will not be granted anything over a .243 for fox. If you do go for anything larger then your FAC will be worded along the lines of " The .308 bolt action rifle can be used to shoot deer over ground the certificate holder has lawfull permision to shoot on & to shoot foxes whilst deer stalking"
This will only legally allow you to shoot a fox whilst out deer stalking if one should cross your path. Thats fine until you come to use the rifle at night to shoot foxes with in the fact that its illegal to shoot deer at night so you will have no valid reason to have it with you while shooting foxes :rolleyes:
my suggestion is to either sell your 222 & go for a .243 or keep the 222 & buy a larger calibre rifle for deer stalking only.
Im not gonna get into a debate about different calibres as its been done before in regards as to what is deemed good or no good. I have shot 243, 30-06, 25-06, 308 & all are good & get the job done if used correctly.
I now shoot a .243 again & have done for the past 8 or so years & find its a very good round & capable of doing the job any of the others can do & with the added bonus i can use it to shoot foxes with legally at night.
my 243 is the only rifle i use now 7 the others collect dust in the cabinet. I like to stick to 1 calibre for all my shooting as i get used to how it behaves & makes my shooting much easier as i can react quickly to a given situation & not have to worry about working out trajectory etc etc of a larger or smaller bullet from one of my other calibre rifles.
Thats my opinion anyway mate :D All you really have to do is make sure what you get is rite for you regardless of what others say & get to know what you can & cant do with any given calibre :D

steyr 243 said:
Hi Gyr
You will not be granted anything over a .243 for fox. If you do go for anything larger then your FAC will be worded along the lines of " The .308 bolt action rifle can be used to shoot deer over ground the certificate holder has lawfull permision to shoot on & to shoot foxes whilst deer stalking"
This will only legally allow you to shoot a fox whilst out deer stalking if one should cross your path

Just thought i would put my ten peneth in here. I wanted to clarify something, so read this from my FAC.

The .243, .270 AND FULL BORE SOUND MODERATORS and ammunition shall be used for shooting fox and deer and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

Just thought it might clear it up a little to show that you do not just need to shoot foxes while out stalking with anything larger than a .243.

Nowhere does it state that i could only shoot foxy whilst out stalking with my .243 and .270. :confused:

I suppose it just proves the difference in the way police forces enterprit home office guidelines. :confused:

wadas

Hi ya Wadas :D
Ill eat my hat now mate:oops: :D Thats the first time ive ever heard that. your lucky its worded like that. Ive lived under 3 different issuing authorities & have been told i will not be granted anything over a .243 for foxes by all of them as this is what the homeoffice guidelines state & all my certificates have stated the larger calibre can only be used to shoot foxes whilst out stalking deer :confused: :eek: Thanks for clearing that up buddy :D :D
Gyr
Sorry if ive mis lead you mate :oops: It sounds like it could be worth clearing it up with your issuing force to find out exactly what they will grant you & for what reasons :confused:

EH, steyr mate, it`s not a problem, this is what it`s all about, not proving anyone wrong, but investigating and helping others out on our way my friend. ;)

I suppose it is a bit unusual and i will show you it on my FAC the next time we get together.

Cheers mate :D :D

wadas

Hi Ya Wadas
Its amazing really how different issuing constabularys have different views on calibres & what they deem suitable or not :rolleyes: I personally aint affected by it anyway because i shoot .243 as you know & i use it for both fox & deer & have no restrictions on its use. When i had my 30-06 The .243 was listed down for fox & deer & 30-06 was listed down for deer but could be used for fox whilst out deer stalking :rolleyes: I wonder now if it was because i had my 243 listed down for fox :confused: Its about time the force started getting together & stick to one rule :rolleyes: It would make life so much easier i think :rolleyes: :D :D

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice

Steyr I think you made a very good point about getting used to one rifle.

I will more than likely sell the .222 and have one rifle for fox (including lamping) and deer.

Is a .243 quite adequate (with the right bullet) for reds?

Kind regards,

Gyr

i looked up the home office guidelines and as i remember it actually said something like "where one rifle is to be used for both deer and fox the applicant should choose either .243 or 6.5mm" i showed this to my flo a few months ago and now have a slot for a 6.5x55 with both deer and fox listed for it.
i found the home office guide lines through the firearms section of the thames valley police website if i remember right the paragraph is in section 10 somewhere.

Gyr said:
Is a .243 quite adequate (with the right bullet) for reds?

In a word mate, yes., and yes to our mate nick, it is time that the feds all sang from the same hymn sheet :confused:

wadas

wadas you are not alone in this as my brother inlaw as so to say has his 30-06 for fox control while i hav mine for fox control while out stalking even though we both hav our tickets for the same ground, we just hav different issuing forces, and before i got rid of my 300win mag i had that for fox control aswell , i would think if any one had applied for bigger than a 243 as their only rifle , then i would think that fox control would be given on that reason alone i think the problem lies mainly in the fact that a 222-243 is normaly the first big calibre people hav for fox and stalking and that seems to hav set a standard for conditions set across the board

Back