Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Range Regs

Rifle Range Regs

Sooo can anyone point me in the direction of regulations for having a rifle range?
    Cheers,

Jim

I know the military deal with use of Pam 21 for all aspects of setting up a field range and all other ranges.

try aslo searching for JSP 403 volume 2

Last edited by paul o'; 15-10-2014 at 14:14.

Blog Entries
    Hi. So it appears that neither the Army or the NRA are in a position to sign off a range any longer. Basically this now comes down you and your insurer.

If you are serious about building and getting a range signed off and I can send you details of an eminently well qualified consultant to help you through the minefield. Excellent bloke and very reasonably priced.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Jim.
    Its really easy,you must get on and build it quickly-in Essex.

Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    Hi. So it appears that neither the Army or the NRA are in a position to sign off a range any longer. Basically this now comes down you and your insurer.

If you are serious about building and getting a range signed off and I can send you details of an eminently well qualified consultant to help you through the minefield. Excellent bloke and very reasonably priced.
    Not quite!
    The Army still approve military ranges and issue range safety certificates for military ranges but haven't done civilian ranges for many years now. The NRA employ consultants who will certify that civilian ranges comply to accepted standards, the standards that they employ are generally inline with those used by the army.

I would be interested in having details of the consultant that you mention NorthDorset as the club I belong to are considering recertification of it's range and while we have contact details for one consultant his fees are not exactly cheap. So I would very much appreciate it if you could perhaps pm me the details of your consultant please.
    Last edited by 8x57; 15-10-2014 at 18:06.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Blog Entries
    Sorry 8x57 did I somehow make an assumption that Greener Jim isn't a military base or something?

Offer still stands. I'm just involved in this process myself.

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

I think we are both confused now, perhaps time to start again.
    My excuse is the wife and daughters have just come into the room and are rabbiting away and demanding that I listen to them.

The way that I look at the present system of "certification or approval" is that you have to be able to demonstrate to your insurers if necessary that the design and construction of your range conforms to a recognised approved standard, and that the suitably qualified and experienced consultant provides evidence to this effect normally in the form of certification in conjunction with a set of plans.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

+1 A zero out to 200 Would be very nice i'd join in a hart beat if range fee's wor't silly.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    Jim.
    Its really easy,you must get on and build it quickly-in Essex.

Bryan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I think we are both confused now, perhaps time to start again.
    My excuse is the wife and daughters have just come into the room and are rabbiting away and demanding that I listen to them.

The way that I look at the present system of "certification or approval" is that you have to be able to demonstrate to your insurers if necessary that the design and construction of your range conforms to a recognised approved standard, and that the suitably qualified and experienced consultant provides evidence to this effect normally in the form of certification in conjunction with a set of plans.
    I have sent you a PM.

What we found is that your build needs to conform generally to the military standard, which is fair enough I guess but then if you have followed this to the letter the insurers will be looking for an authority to have signed it off. The military will not sign off a civvy range as you quite rightly say. The NRA won't either so you end up with a consultant who has the experience and skill to tell you what he expects you to build and will sign off.

So rather than getting bogged down the guidance for military range design, cut to the chase and bring in the consultant early on who will explain what you need, what to look out for and probably even give you a leg up in where to source the right materials.