Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calibre

Calibre

Gentleman

I enjoy being a member of this forum and often there is useful stuff to learn and share but am starting to get tired.

I for one am getting particularly bored with the incessant squabbling over .243 v .308 debate etc and likewise Blaser versus other and so on. If you have nothing to say of a positive nature, keep stum.

Maybe its just me but if we are of any "calibre" at all can we just move on please 'cause it is tiresome and childish and will drive people away from the forum?

Loosing patience..

Ade

I've found that if I find stuff on this site tiresome and/or childish, I simply don't read on: unless, of course, I am in the mood for tiresome childish stuff - which does sometimes happen.

Perhaps we should consider that one man's tiresome and childish might be another's entertaining and informative discourse.

Just a thought, like - positive, of course!

You haven't mentioned 6.55x55

Has that helped?

"There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Well you cant say that wasn't positive rickoshay. It added another calibre to the debate

it's what keeps us going old bean...without that debate and that of amax on deer, long range shooting, bow and arrow,,,well, what would keep the site ticking over?

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    There really isn't a debate when it comes to rifles or calibres.
    Most rifles in good condition will shoot better behind the "mutt behind the butt".
    Most deer legal calibres will shoot similarly at sensible stalking ranges.
    The big difference is what size of deer you will be shooting at. That should guide you to a bullet weight and that in turn a relevant calibre.
    Then learn how to use that rifle in that calibre to within your limits and you're there.
    It ain't rocket science. Reloading is rocket science.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    There really isn't a debate when it comes to rifles or calibres.
    Most rifles in good condition will shoot better behind the "mutt behind the butt".
    Most deer legal calibres will shoot similarly at sensible stalking ranges.
    The big difference is what size of deer you will be shooting at. That should guide you to a bullet weight and that in turn a relevant calibre.
    Then learn how to use that rifle in that calibre to within your limits and you're there.
    It ain't rocket science. Reloading is rocket science.

ha ha ha,, no reloading isn't rocket science mate, it's so simple it isn't even funny, what makes it seem like rocket science are those who don't have anything else to do with their lives and 'make' it rocket science. I started reloading with a .243 Lee Classic Loader (hand held) and a rubber mallet. powder funnel was a rolled up piece of paper and I quickly ended up with almost 1 hole groups..honestly, to this day I struggle to understand why anyone would bother with anything BUT a lee classic loader, single tub of powder and some nosler partitions.

Well said we all know .270 is the best lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Ade8mm View Post
    Gentleman

I enjoy being a member of this forum and often there is useful stuff to learn and share but am starting to get tired.

I for one am getting particularly bored with the incessant squabbling over .243 v .308 debate etc and likewise Blaser versus other and so on. If you have nothing to say of a positive nature, keep stum.

Maybe its just me but if we are of any "calibre" at all can we just move on please 'cause it is tiresome and childish and will drive people away from the forum?

Loosing patience..

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by exmarksman9870 View Post
    Well said we all know .458 is the best lol....
    Fixed it for you

The constant debates on calibre and such can get tedious I agree. That been said, me and me best stalking mate argue all the time about the same things. Totally different styles of stalking but it's our differences that make it fun.
    If he said "I think that a stainless synthetic .243 is the best rifle for stalking" and I replied with "yup, sure is" it'd be boring as hell!

Much more interesting when we can debate the slightest differences in cartridges and rifles, with nothing but personal opinion and occasional factual evidence. Like being down the pub with your mates.

Apart from that, everyone knows I'm right anyway

People who argue about calibers are either 1) immature and emotionally delayed or 2) inexperienced and thus armchair experts who have little to no real field experience.

Articulating why you like a caliber/cartridge is perfectly legit, but arguing in favour of one or the other is largely subjective since everybody's needs and wants are different.

Because once you spend any amount of time in the field things such as "caliber" or "cartridge" become extremely peripheral and esoteric.

If only these same people spent as much time learning about animal behaviour/biology, tracking and stalking.