pitting

Olly.243

I have just looked down my barrel on t3 .243 and it looks like there is a bit of pitting could this be fouling I have passed a brush through and it hasn't removed it . would just passing a brush through leave fouling do I need use a foam solvent to make sure . will the pitting badly affect my accuracy. anyone help?

I will have to take it out for a shoot. I haven't notice a problem with the way it shoots but then I cant say I have really inspected the bore for a while poor practice I know .

I have just looked down my barrel on t3 .243 and it looks like there is a bit of pitting could this be fouling I have passed a brush through and it hasn't removed it . would just passing a brush through leave fouling do I need use a foam solvent to make sure . will the pitting badly affect my accuracy. anyone help?

It will shoot as well as it was shooting when you noticed it. Did you think that actually seeing the pit would cause your groups to go to hell?? :rolleyes::D I have beautiful Spandau 8x57 that has dark pit completely crossing one land. Shoots better then I can hold.~Muir

haven't really had a chance to get out and try it yet. yea was thinking it will affect my accuracy but I wasn't sure. olly

I have a sako (591) I think that is fairly old but I bought it unused earlier this year.It has some putting in the bore but shoots unbelievable.I was gutted when I saw it but thought I would shoot it and see what it was like.
Shoots better than my now sold styer 308 and that was brand new.
dave

I've just been through the same, I hate the thought of the barrel being pitted but you can only judge it on results. Having a pitted barrel make me super tight on my cleaning as I don't want it to get any worse!

My .222 is slightly abused, but has never missed a beat
the thread protector foresight got stuck on and in a fit of enthusiasm I decided to clean the barrel after fixing the problem....as I was not entirely sure when this last happened.

knowing that my barrel is pitted and accepting a certain amount of fouling can be required I took it out to zero the other night.

first shot was a little right
next two...same hole.

this with a section of pitting that I would guess is 3" long covering 1/4-1/3 of the bore
(pic on its side for some reason.)

image.jpg

Back