Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: medal boar ?

medal boar ?

what do you boys think of this boy making a medal if it gets measured, was shot in gloucester last weekend by a lad thats never seen a boar before and on his first outing..?

It's quite easy to get a rough score:

Measure both lower tucks along the long side, add the two and then average = points
    Measure the width of both lower tusks across the base, add the two and average, then multiply by 3 = points
    Measure the circumference of the upper left tusk at the base = points
    Measure the circumference of the upper right tusk at the base = points

Add the four numbers together and if the total is 105 or more it may well be a medal, above 115 and it's potentially a gold when the beauty points are added.

There are up to another 5 points available for beauty and I am no expert but these tusks seem to have some attributes that might get beauty points. There are also up to 10 points that can be deducted for inequality between the two sets but these and the beauty points are largely subjective so you'd need an expert to have a look.

Bronze medals start at 110 and 120 gets gold.

The current UK gold medal boar all had lower tusks of around 21 - 24cms and 20cms should get a silver assuming the other measurements are OK.
    Last edited by paul k; 17-10-2014 at 14:25.

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    It's quite easy to get a rough score:

Measure both lower tucks along the long side, add the two and then average = points
    Measure the width of both lower tusks across the base, add the two and average, then multiply by 3 = points
    Measure the circumference of the upper left tusk = points
    Measure the circumference of the upper right tusk = points

Add the four numbers together and if the total is 105 or more it may well be a medal, above 115 and it's potentially a gold when the beauty points are added.

There are up to another 5 points available for beauty and I am no expert but these tusks seem to have some attributes that might get beauty points. There are also up to 10 points that can be deducted for inequality between the two sets but these and the beauty points are largely subjective so you'd need an expert to have a look.

Bronze medals start at 110 and 120 gets gold.

The current UK gold medal boar all had lower tusks of around 21 - 24cms and 20cms should get a silver assuming the other measurements are OK.
    Very informative. Thanks Paul

Don't know about medals for boar but its a nice first for anyone and well done to him and his ug guide.

Dave.
    That boar should of been for you boys from up the road. but we could not hold back any longer. it was a nice trophy.

Still shooting pigglets then Ed? I think that maybe the one me and kevin were seeing in August he was a big old boy. Like the bow can as a scale. Twankey collected the trophy fees yet?
    Sean

I would say not. But a fine beast nonetheless. I would be happy as a pig in sh!t, excuse the pun, if that were my first!!!

I have a set of tusks from a beast that I was lucky enough to shoot in Germany, they measured bronze. The animal weighed 115 kg when all the gralloch was removed but head and feet still on (which is how I believe they always do it in Germany, with deer also)

If you want me to scan the certificate and send you a PM let me know.

Cheers
    Last edited by 270Buck; 17-10-2014 at 19:42.

now now Sean.
    you know we don't do it for the money.other wise you would owe us a load of money lol. i measured the tusks from tip to the base and they are about 7.1/2 in. 18.1/2 cm.

nice plaque and tusks 270 buck.
    Last edited by roverman; 17-10-2014 at 18:23. Reason: missed a dot.

Quote Originally Posted by roverman View Post
    .......i measured the tusks from tip to the base and they are about 7.1/2 in. 18.1/2 cm.
    That being the case, if the other measurements are good it might scrape bronze but not much more, damn good first boar though!

It certainly was a great Boar Anthony/Ed and I can tell you he has eaten very well,and I am looking forward to some more soon.
    Cheers....Martin