breeks

russ91

hi guys just wanting your views on breeks im seriosly considering some as i ended up with wet feet due to water running down the outside of my trouser leg when wereing wellys on sunday.

Can't go far wrong with heavy tweed. Gentlemans Gortex! If you really want over kill get the Goretex inner layer...

Worth getting them lined though, can be a bit cheeky on the chafing front!

i have a couple of pairs,never worn them for stalking in yet. like jinga says make sure you get them lined. i get my tweed kit from john brocklehursts of bakewell, top clobber.they will make them for you but normally have some ready to go off the peg.

I always used to wear breeks when I stalked up in Scotland, but a couple of years ago I changed to gore-tex lined, full-length, trousers. I'd find it very hard to go back to tweed now. Down South I just let the trousers hang over the top of my boots but up in Scotland I put a pair of Kammo gaiters over the top.

willie_gunn

dont think i would get tweed fr the chafeing reasons iv been looking at moleskin heavy cotton breeks

you would be better off getting a decent pair of boots than wasting money on breeks that you may use only on occassions and what would stop the water running of the breeks and down your leg into the wellies anyway

i hav got decent boots mate think im just going to have to put my trousers over the boots

Boots and a decent pair of gaters will keep your feet dry. You can even wade across a deep burn if you are quick enough without getting your feet wet. Besides a good pair of calf high walking boots are far better to walk in than wellies if your on the hill IMHO.

Cheers

Sikamalc

i do wear breeks when stalking but only when i feel like it , when i used to take alot of clients out then it seemed the proper kit for the job ! i had mine taylor made , plus fours cut high backed for braces to keep the wind out when up high seats and goretex lined and the colour of the heavy weight tweed matches the area conditions that i stalk in .

cheers

Hi, The best breeks i have are Nommad plus 3s light, warm, totally waterproof "layed in a few bogs in the past" never let me dowm yet?
They are a bit pricey though, but you get what you pay for!

ATB
Moe..

Boots and a decent pair of gaters will keep your feet dry. You can even wade across a deep burn if you are quick enough without getting your feet wet. Besides a good pair of calf high walking boots are far better to walk in than wellies if your on the hill IMHO.

Cheers

Sikamalc

agreed lace up boots and gaiters are best, sometimes wear good wellies to hinds though if the hill is very wet.

fly.

I would add that a good pair of high(ish) cut boots matched with Macgaiters works well with +4s. You can almost wade through calf high water with the McGs on as long as you keep your feet moving. They are ideal for chasing hinds on the hill, although a little hot for summer stags!

http://www.macgaiters.co.uk/products.asp?cat=1

You cant beat Tweed breeks, the Goretex ones are superb but not necessary, lined tweed is just as good, it keeps you warm when wet and dries fairly quickly. You can wear long boots with gaiters or wellies, either will work very well but at some point you will always get wet no matter what you wear. I wouldnt go with moleskin or cotton, moleskin doesnt dry quickly and will make you cold, cotton isnt robust enough for the rigours of stalking, hill stalking in particular. Just my experience. :)

Tweed breeks for hill stalking every time, I don't wear them for roe prefer a pair of deerhunter long trousers for them find tweed a bit too warm in the summer, if going for breeks get+4s rather than+2 more room in the legs and more of a turn over this is an advantage in that when you have been crawling and the stand up the wet bit is below your knee not on it, the bigger turn over
also allows water to shed on to the ground not down your boots, and if worn with gaitors perfect, no need for wellies, also even when wet tweed is warmer than most man made fabrics.

Lined Tweed breeks, are just the job, even better when a tight woven tweed is used, when you get them wet its not long before they are comfortable.
Moleskin when its wet is wet all day
I wouldnet bother with any sort of waterproof linner

I'm intrigued with regards to the strong recommendations for tweed breeks. I've got them, have worn them and - certainly from a traditionalist point of view - can see the attraction. I always felt that stalking in Scotland demanded traditional tweed plus fours (not breeks!).

That said, a good pair of Gore-tex lined trousers don't absorb water, will keep you warm and dry, will dry out overnight (no small consideration) and - if camo - can blend into the land as well as tweed.

So what are the practical reasons for sticking with tweed? I do realise not everything has to be practical (otherwise we'd all use stainless/synthetic rifles) but I'd just be interested in your thoughts.

BTW, tin hat now firmly placed on head ;)

willie_gunn

bogtrotter

Interesting - I've always thought breeks were the ones with no overhang, plus-twos were the ones with two inch overhang and plus-fours the ones with four inch overhang. I have a pair of plus-fours, a couple of pairs of plus-twos and several pairs of breeks for game shooting down South. The stalker on the estate we go to in Sutherland has plus-fours.

willie_gunn

Willie, yes strictly speaking you are correct, but up here we tend to class them all as breeks, when I say I use breeks for the hill
its +4s as I find the others uncomfortable when wet, that 4 inch drop runs the water on to the ground not down your boots
and find when crawling thats the part in contact with your knees when you stand up the wet bit is below your knee, plus 2s not only have less drop but are also tighter so the water tends to run straight from the drop into your boots, if you wear gaiters then its no problem, but also find that+4s being wider in the leg they don't rub against your skin so much as the others or cling to your skin when wet, but its what ever you feel comfortable with, the days of getting funny looks if you appeared with anything other than +4s on the hill are gone, thank god!

Back