Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you see UK deer stalking in the future

How do you see UK deer stalking in the future

So what will the Deer stalking scene in the UK look like in the future. Will there be more outfitters selling stalking? Or as a recent Thread, wil land be divided up into small plots so people can have their own stalking no matter how small. So what do's the future hold?

Regulated, beaurocratic and expensive. Probably more restricted - largely under the control of a relatively small number of very large commercial operators and NGOs.

I will even hazard a guess that within 50 years private stalking as we know it will no longer exist. We will all be required to buy guided stalks using estate rifles - if we're lucky.

My crystal ball is due a service, but I will have a stab at it, deer stalking in the Uk is more in demand than it has ever been, if that trend continues demand will become greater than supply resulting in inevitable rise in stalking costs.

Red deer numbers in Scotland grew at an alarming rate from under 200 000 in the 1950s and 60s to around 400 000 by the year 2000 since then a couple of hard winters a long with night shooting licences and out of season licences for mainly commercial forestry blocks have reduced the population to a level of probably 300 000/ 350 000 it's hard to produce exact figures as while a fairly accurate count of deer on the open hill can be achieved
    its much more difficult to get accurate figures for forestry blocks.

SNH policy is reduce deer numbers enough to allow natural regeneration of Scotland's native woodlands , this of course includes other species of deer not just Red deer, to achieve this would mean a drastic reduction in deer numbers, which of course could have an effect on stalking, less deer to stalk could have an effect on the viability of sporting estates, if you only have a third of the animals to stalk you need to increase prices x 3 just to get the same return.

Forestry leases would still be available , but how attractive would they be with let's say a third or less of present day deer numbers.

Devolved powers to a Scottish parliament could also have an effect on stalking here, possible tax on sporting estates, changes firearm legislation, compulsory training and such like.

None of the above is set in stone of course , and neither will change come overnight, but my crystal ball is showing me what could possibly happen in Scotland, unfortunately due to it requiring a service, I can't see the future south of the border.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 17-10-2014 at 10:30.

More demand, less supply, more seats, less stalking, greater cost, more canned/trophy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    So what will the Deer stalking scene in the UK look like in the future. Will there be more outfitters selling stalking? Or as a recent Thread, wil land be divided up into small plots so people can have their own stalking no matter how small. So what do's the future hold?
    DSCL2 Woodland
    DSCL2 Park
    DSCL3
    DSCL3 Jelend

K

When i started stalking in the late 60s's there were very few people stalking with a rifle in England. How that has changed. The change is even more noticeable since i moved here 11 years ago.
    I can see more outfitters offering stalking to cater for those ,who i think make up a large proportion of todays stalker. These are people who want to stalk but have limited time due to the demands of work,family.

In all honesty i would have never thought that stalking would be so popular if you had asked me 40 years ago. But then again if you told me then that people would pay to shoot pigeons i would have thought you were having a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    When i started stalking in the late 60s's there were very few people stalking with a rifle in England. How that has changed. The change is even more noticeable since i moved here 11 years ago.
    I can see more outfitters offering stalking to cater for those ,who i think make up a large proportion of todays stalker. These are people who want to stalk but have limited time due to the demands of work,family.

In all honesty i would have never thought that stalking would be so popular if you had asked me 40 years ago. But then again if you told me then that people would pay to shoot pigeons i would have thought you were having a laugh.
    I think its possibly less to do with 'stalking' and more to do with an open ticket and not being limited to approved ranges only. Very possible that the prohibition of handguns had an impact too.

Ruined due to far too many hoops to jump through. It's well on its way and will soon be out of financial reach for many. Money talks.

If it ever reaches the day when I have to get a DSC and it costs me more than I gain, is the day I give up.
    luckly the stalking I have is owned by people who appreciate honesty and friendships.

In the spirit of another thread ...

6.5x47 Blaser will be mandatory!