Thread: barrel harmonic,s and mods

barrel harmonic,s and mods

Hi all
    What are your thoughts on this.You have found a sweet load for your given rifle with a bare barrel (i.e no mod) then you fit a light weight mod say a atec ccm4 does the group size change?
    You then try another mod say a ASE jet z Ultra (i.e a heavy mod) is there any difference in the group size, does the different weights of the mods affect the barrel harmonic,s and what are the affects down range.I have a 22.250 vsf remy cut to 20" and im going to try this today to find out.I will post the results later in this post.i know that point of impact will change but we are on about group size.

Yours Nigdonn

I look forward to hearing how you get on with this. I'm also trying to find .243 cartridge options for both moderated & unmoderated as I prefer to use my rifle without a mod., but sometimes it's appropriate to use one.
    I'm going for a light bullet for fox & roe with mod (currently favouring Fed 80g SP) & a 100g for creeping about the woods or on the hill without a mod. I'm sure you'll find that the groups will be smaller with the mod, but is the difference worth the hell of lugging about all that extra metal that completely stuffs up the handling.
    I weighed my rifle (Sako 75 hunter) with mod last week & unloaded it was over 11.5 pounds (the scope's only a 6x42) & most of the weight is at the front, which is just where you don't want it when you're either crawling about or trying to quickly get a rifle onto sticks.

In a nutshell yes! Any change to the barrel has the potential to affect barrel harmonics and may affect both the accuracy and point of impact of a given load. In my experience my lighter barrel rifles are more severely affected than my heavy barrel rifles but I cannot say whether a heavier or lighter mod will make a difference as all my mods are the same. On my heavy barrel 6.5 I see very little change in POI between different loads or with or without a mod. Please note that there is only the potential to change rather than will be a definite change in accuracy. You may find that the rifle shoots better or worse. Suck it and see!

Just realised that you have been using a varmint barrel rather than a sporter, which I would expect to considerably lessen the difference between them.

Hi all the results
    rifle remy 22.250 vsf shortened to 20" heavy fluted barrel
    55gr berger hp
    h380 37.5gr
    norma brass neck sized
    bullet seated 20 thou of the lands

bare barrel 3 rounds touching clover leaf
    atec ccm4 alu mod 3 rounds touching clover leaf
    ase jet z compact 3 rounds just over 1/2" spread

I would like to see the results if a sporter barreled rifle was used in a bigger caliber.
    anyone else try this if so what was your findings?

Yours Nigdonn

Then came Browning with their BOSS system, the first practical means of instantly changing a barrel's vibrational pattern. However, instead of applying pressure to the barrel, BOSS changed harmonics simply by varying its length, i.e., by screwing the weighted muzzle brake unit up or down the threaded portion of the muzzle.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Tried this twice with my Sako 85 ss 20" barreled 270 win.

First try shot 5-6" right and 2" high from moderated zero.
    Second attempt was at Bisley on the H4H shoot neither myself or the guy watching me could find the unmoderated bullet holes, my mod was getting searing hot trying to kill those running deer!

Mod is an Atec CMM4.

Quote Originally Posted by nigdonn View Post
    Hi all the results
    rifle remy 22.250 vsf shortened to 20" heavy fluted barrel
    55gr berger hp
    h380 37.5gr
    norma brass neck sized
    bullet seated 20 thou of the lands

bare barrel 3 rounds touching clover leaf
    atec ccm4 alu mod 3 rounds touching clover leaf
    ase jet z compact 3 rounds just over 1/2" spread

I would like to see the results if a sporter barreled rifle was used in a bigger caliber.
    anyone else try this if so what was your findings?

Yours Nigdonn
    But I bet that if you rework your load the grouping will return with the heavier mod

Hi yes no dout if i tweeked the load groups would tighten up but we were trying the to differene weights of mods to see if it affected group size of the same tried and tested load.
    yours nigdonn.

.260 rem Remington model 7 sporter barrel shooting 139 gn spbt Ase s5 1" at 100m
    same rifle with CCM4 9" left 6" high !! with scope on max correction

The mod is now on a .17 fireball Remington model 7 bull barrel with 1" group.