Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beaters

Beaters

We all know that without beaters driven shooting Over guns would be a very poor affair .keepers rely on them and pickers up to make the day run smoothly and efficiently and a good bunch of boys and girls are worth thier weight in gold .
    so how much notice do you think is fair to expect the beaters to give the keeper of thier absence on shoot day the day before the week before ?
    Norma

24 hours but i usually end up getting the 8am call on the day
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Depends on how indispensable they are, how many beaters there are and if they get paid I guess?!

I shoot on one shoot and beat on another on alternating weeks so I'm only there beating for half the Saturday shoots so clearly I'm not indispensable

Ideally a shoot should have enough beaters to afford a few no-shows and rotate jobs about so when one beater isn't there to do a critical role another can do the job!
    Last edited by csl; 17-10-2014 at 20:24.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    We all know that without beaters driven shooting Over guns would be a very poor affair .keepers rely on them and pickers up to make the day run smoothly and efficiently and a good bunch of boys and girls are worth thier weight in gold .
    so how much notice do you think is fair to expect the beaters to give the keeper of thier absence on shoot day the day before the week before ?
    Norma

As much as possible to give the keeper enough time to arrange someone else if needed. But these days some people think that they can text the keeper half an hour before the shoot commences and thats ok.

I text them all the sun/ mon before the sat to ask them to let me know ASAP so a working week before .
    i must admit to being a little pee'd off the day or night before the shoot but hey Ive just watched a little kid on telly with cancer at 10 yrs of age now that is a problem ! I'll survive rang around and guess I'll have to eat the extra bacon butties pasties and penguins myself .
    norma

I'm only starting off as a beater so as this is my second year don't think I'm that important to the shoot...
    maybe in time

Hey Beretta Man.... you are precious to someone.

Every beater has a role in the day! A beater with a good dog is worth 3 beaters without. On a shoot where i beat only 3 of us have a dog and the keeper dont appreiciate what we do. Dont get a lookin at pigeons or the chance of a deer after the seson!

No cry off calls this am yet ! good wet night and breezy hopefully a few partridge about today all being well .

As Norma says good beaters are worth their weight and good beaters with a good dog even more. I usually have a team of 12 beaters and 4 picking up. Running with slightly less can be done but on one drive 12 is sometimes just not enough so if reduced to say 9 it can be very difficult. If you take on beating please understand that the keeper is reliant on you for the day. The late phone call to say I am not coming is not helpful. What really annoys me is the beater who says they are coming but then gets a better offer of say picking up from another shoot and cancels at the last minute. Believe me Beretta Man you are important. Learn the ground so when you are sent to a point you know where it is, don't just walk but think about what the drive is trying to achieve. In a big line the keeper cannot see everywhere and it is sometimes up to you to see what is happening and take some action to avoid disasters.