Thread: Reloading Book.

Reloading Book.

Hiya,

At long last, I've bought a reloading setup, (its only taken 5 years)..I collect the kit and the new gun on Sunday.....and will be reloading .243 and .222.......can anyone point me in the direction of a good, basic ( for dummies) reloading book...?? Not keen on a download book, but if needs must...

Any help/info would be gratefully received ..

Thanks in advance.

lyman manual is very good give us a shout if you need one
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Hi Matey

best book to teach you the basics is "ABC to reloading" available to buy as a real paper book (ha ha ha ) from amazon isbn number 1440213968 16.38 will teach you everything about reloading, you will also need a good load data book such as the one from lee, speer or Lyman etc again about 20

if you know someone who already reloads ask them if they'll give you a practical lesson

regards

lee

The Lee manual was recommended to me and I am happy with it. It has information on reloading technique and also has load tables for most cartridges. If you shop around they can be found quite cheap. I would also advise if possible to spend some time with a knowledgeable reloader to go over the basics and safety aspects, I found this to be very useful and it took a lot of the mystery out of the process. Enjoy your reloading.

My tip is buy as many books as you can afford, as they are often required to cross reference each other as the tester, weapon and barrel length used for the different test varies.

Alternatively buy one of the one load books for the calibre you are reloading which are a compilation of data from different sources within one book.

Quote Originally Posted by 762Scot View Post
    The Lee manual was recommended to me and I am happy with it. It has information on reloading technique and also has load tables for most cartridges. If you shop around they can be found quite cheap. I would also advise if possible to spend some time with a knowledgeable reloader to go over the basics and safety aspects, I found this to be very useful and it took a lot of the mystery out of the process. Enjoy your reloading.
    Remington 700 VLS .223rem, ASE Utra SL5, Timney Calvin Elite Trigger
    Sako 75 Stainless Synthetic .308win, Wildcat Mod.
    Howa M-1500 .243win Wildcat Mod, Timney Trigger, Bell and Carlson Stock
    6.5x47Lapua, Valkyrie Valhalla.
    Ruger 10/22 Stainless .22lr, Sako Mod, Hogue Stock

I also like the Lee. If you learn how to use the tables and do the math required to use them, it can become more than just a source for load data. With some data (specifically Hodgdon and IMR powders (IIRC) there are some equations for calculating changes of pressure and velocity. I find it handy. Some criticize it for being self promotional, but other manuals promote their products as well; I mean, Hornady and Berger hardly would ever suggest data for bullets other than their own, right??

I would avoid the "Single Caliber" books for now. Much of their data is old and there is little in the way of practical instruction.~Muir

like i said before if your new to reloading and want the practical info and all the principles of reloading so you don't miss out on any stage of the case prep etc you can't beat the ABC to reloading

the most important thing i was told when i first started was concentrate on what your doing systematically go through thing step by step and double check you've set your scales correctly and check you you haven't double charged any of your cases with powder or you might not make a second lot of ammo

lee

Hi Guys,. Just back a from a 700 mile round trip to buy my "new" .222 rifle from an absolute gent in Stafford. I also bought his complete reloading kit...and in amongst the many items that came with the kit is the Hodgen Powder Data Manual, no 27....plus various small books, i.e. Lyman Reloading Guide etc...so, well happy now.. I'll be getting a few of the books mentioned above , as Iagree that to be able to cross reference will be handy..

Thanks for the input guys...