Thread: sausage making

sausage making

Hi, just bought a mincer could anyone point me in the right direction, as to sausage skins whats best natural or collegen, also which company to deal with for seasonings and rusks etc?
    Regards Neil

I get all my stuff from here

Butchers Sundries , Mincers, Butchers Supplies, Sausage maker , Sausage Skins they do large and small Qtys

Hi Neil,

on the skins front, collagen are more forgiving to someone starting out. But after you've got the hang of things natural casings are, in my opinion far superior. Hog casings are thinker and more robust than sheep casings which make a thinner sausage and are a bit more fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    Hi Neil,

on the skins front, collagen are more forgiving to someone starting out. But after you've got the hang of things natural casings are, in my opinion far superior. Hog casings are thinker and more robust than sheep casings which make a thinner sausage and are a bit more fragile.
    +1 on that . Natural casings are more superior. A wee tip if you get collagen skins is to leave them soaking in water or vegetable oil overnight. This makes them more flexible and saves them bursting. .......scott

These guys are good to : http://Www.weschenfelder.co.uk .

i would use hog casings, they are easier to use than collagen in my opinion as the are stronger.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Yup Weschenfelder

Or
    Www.tongmaster.co.uk

Good also

Paul

Don't mess about with Collagen skins, I took that advice when I started out and they produce poor results.

Natural skins, Hog casings for "Bangers" Sheep for Chipolatas, Ox for black pudding. Are Easy, even for a beginner and they produce far superior results. Like Dave I use Weschenfelder for my skins.

For "Rusk" I just use pinhead oatmeal as it's pretty cheap and you can get it from your supermarket if needs be.

The key is patience and experimentation. You'll soon learn by trial and error fat/liquid/spice/rusk proportions.

ALWAYS mix with your hands. You can tell by the feel of the mix if it is going to be a good Sausage.

Fry a little in a pan before stuffing the skins to test for flavour.

Keep the mixture as cold as possible while mixing/stuffing.

Give yourself plenty of time and keep things clean and hygenic.

If you can't wait...do what I did the first time. Pump them out into a tray of bread crumbs. Roll them around and viola... crumbed sausages. Too easy and cook up lovely.
    Cheers,
    Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Hi, just bought a mincer could anyone point me in the right direction, as to sausage skins whats best natural or collegen, also which company to deal with for seasonings and rusks etc?
    Regards Neil
    Scobies Direct: a great deal for butchers and processors