Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which 17

which 17

looking at getting a 17 but dont know what to get any info on what other people use was thinking 17 mach 2

17 Remington is awesome for quarry between rabbits, corvids through to foxes. Personally wouldnt go for a 17 rimfire. Too many horror stories

If you want a 17 I'd personally go the Hornet route as I did after being horribly disappointed by the 17HMR.

Fireball or Remington no other compares

either mach2 or hmr, secret of shooting is doing lots of it successfully, the Hmr fits that economically . the centre fires are better at longer range, but
    cost money to get proficient without reloading.

I'd go 17 Rem simply because if you're gonna go light and fast you may aswell go for the fastest!! Yes barrel life isn't that long compared to others but think of it this way 800 rounds at £342.50 per 200 is £1370. Even handloading, that barrel is gonna last a while

No personal experience mind

Quote Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
    Looking at getting a 17 but don't know what to get. Any info on what other people use? I was thinking 17 Mach 2
    What do you want to use it for, what sort of maximum range do you want, and what are you prepared to pay for ammo?
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

it would be for crows and foxes was thinking of a centre fire but just got some shooting near a caravan site thats why i am thinking 17 rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
    it would be for crows and foxes was thinking of a centre fire but just got some shooting near a caravan site thats why i am thinking 17 rimfire
    I would not consider a 17 rimfire as being suitable for fox. Many constabularies won't authorise them for fox. My minimum would be 17 hornet for what you describe

A 17 rimfire is not much quiter than a well moderated centrefire. I agree that the HMR and Mach2 are really rather low powered for foxes, remember they were designed for gophers and ground squirrels out to about 200 yards. A .222 would be a better proposition as you can reload it if you like and there's ammo for it everywhere, plus you can get in to reloading and use light bullets all day long.

But this is just my opinion, and WTF do I know
    Last edited by long_range_rob; 19-10-2014 at 21:02.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.