Sewlin? Lines. Where to buy?

countrryboy

Alright folks

Just a quick one, does anyone know if it is possible to buy sewlin lines? Hope i'm spelling it right.
I'm sure i have seen some advertised somewhere years ago and i thought were fairly reasonably priced

Can mind as a young YT boy that was my homework for many a nite slashing feed bags and tying them onto rope, dinae fancy doing it again if i can help it.
Or has anyone any quick ways of making it?

Come on Countryboy you've nothing else to do now the dark nights are here. Get those strips of feed bag going again. I always used polypropylene baler cord to tie the strips to. It's great fun making up hundreds of yards of sewelling. I am sure that if you really get stuck in you will enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps.

I used to use sewlin on a few of my drives and found making it to be the easiest and cheapest way to do it, plus if you make it yourself it's made the way you want it.

Stacey

Easy done bud. Get some bags tell the lads to bring a knife with them. And get em slashing at the next shoot day. Or get John onto it.. Hes plenty time on his hands!!!!

Nutty

Cheers folks, so the advice is dinae be so lazy and get slashing :lol:

The sad thing is i actually save holed feed bags just incase in need them for jobs like this

I mind seeing a price years ago somewhere and i was sure it was only 15 quid for 100m i thoought that was mega cheap, and thats why a remembered it, infact too cheap (always thought it might be wot we called 'bunting' used to hang it from the gaolpost for electric cable on big civil jobs)

Old keper when u call it baler cord is that baler twine or do u use thin poly prop rope? Still have the nightmare about threading all thoose strips in throu the braids of the rope. The boss thought poly rope was better as tangled less than baler twine.

Alright nutty, can u imagine them all slashing away in that caravan, would have to have the ambulance waiting outside, it would be an accident waiting to happen
Think john's too busy shooting now, he's away all the time now, lucky bugger

I get the baler twine tie in a loop and knot then tie in the long strip of feed bag to the loop every 1' more numbing than making flags .
get cracking countryboy !

Cheers folks, so the advice is dinae be so lazy and get slashing :lol:

The sad thing is i actually save holed feed bags just incase in need them for jobs like this

I mind seeing a price years ago somewhere and i was sure it was only 15 quid for 100m i thoought that was mega cheap, and thats why a remembered it, infact too cheap (always thought it might be wot we called 'bunting' used to hang it from the gaolpost for electric cable on big civil jobs)

Old keper when u call it baler cord is that baler twine or do u use thin poly prop rope? Still have the nightmare about threading all thoose strips in throu the braids of the rope. The boss thought poly rope was better as tangled less than baler twine.

Alright nutty, can u imagine them all slashing away in that caravan, would have to have the ambulance waiting outside, it would be an accident waiting to happen
Think john's too busy shooting now, he's away all the time now, lucky bugger
I used polyprop: baler cord, slit the feed bags into roughly three or four inch strips, I found the length of one side ideal then knot the strips on to the line using a clove hitch. I used to keep in rolled onto old garden hose reels. it all worked well enough for me.

Cheers folks, i'll have a look on game and country's website see wot it looks like or give richard a bell, i'm shooting up near there shortly anyway so mibee save me the hassle, at 7 quid a pop cannae go wrong (if its alright anyway). Thats mibee where is seen it advertised

Otherwise got some red and white 'ticky tape' in the van good knows where it came from, it would do the job well and save me slashing all those feed bags

Dinae think i'd be lonbg if u put ur mind to it and just sit down to do it, but it is the type of job u would always put off and do anything but

Cheers again

Had a look on the site looks like bunting to me (short 6" hardish plastic flags), woudnae say much good for wot i was wanting, think i'm going to have to get into it and make it myself :doh:

Ive got some red and white warning 'ticky tape' which will be very similar, nice and light too so should move about good in the wind, u could also buy electrical underground cable/pipe warning tape etc would save u rippping up the feed bags which was always the worst part of the job.

Cheers timney, but i've got some very similar stuff to that. Hopefully should do the job nicely.
Most builders suppliers will seel various colours of similar tape, never thought of using it before.

It was always called sewelling here in Leicestershire! I don't think that simple coloured minefield or police or builder's tape would work. The whole point of sewelling is that it is jerked (by a boy or other at one end) as the pheasants are running along the ground through the wood to give them a fright that, it is hoped, makes them take wing.

So the best stuff is just thick cord with, as others say, strips from old feed bags attached. Like BUNTING in fact rather than just a "ribbon". In fact old bunting is probably a cheap alternative if you ever see it on eBay. But regardless to have it work best it needs someone on the one end jerking it around. Let it go slack along the ground. Then pull it taught to raise it up. As if you are trying to trip someone up.

But then I'm guessing you know this already?

Last edited:
Alright folks

Just a quick one, does anyone know if it is possible to buy sewlin lines? Hope i'm spelling it right.
I'm sure i have seen some advertised somewhere years ago and i thought were fairly reasonably priced

Can mind as a young YT boy that was my homework for many a nite slashing feed bags and tying them onto rope, dinae fancy doing it again if i can help it.
Or has anyone any quick ways of making it?

If you'd 'googled' this rather than posted on SD (I was hoping someone would spot this but no - :D) you'd have realised your error & found what you were after .... it's a proper noun 'Sewelling' .... apparently derived from ..........

Sewel

n.
A scarecrow, generally made of feathers tied to a string, hung up to prevent deer from breaking into a place.

There's no alternative name ... these are just mispellings (or even 'misspellings' if you prefer)

Here's a source - £7.50 for 26 metres........ pretty cheap!

Plain tape stretched horizontally doesn't have the fear factor as the birds just duck under it and keep running. You need the garishly-coloured plastic vertical sections jigging & flapping away to make them stop and take to the wing.

http://www.gameandcountry.co.uk/Sewelling/0_CAAA144/PRAA683.htm

Last edited:
On a shoot where I beat they use sewelling and then roll it onto a garden hose reel so it can be moved from drive to drive as necessary.

For the hassle it is to make it I would more than likely buy the 26 metres from Game and Country for £7.50!!

Or like EssBee has said get some other unsuspecting individual to make it for you!!

Back