Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6000 culled and not a peep from the media.

6000 culled and not a peep from the media.

Just returned from a few days on Moose in Norway. Had a good chat with one of the rangers on the Hardangarvidda (manages the wild reindeer - very interesting job) who had just returned from his second 2 month stint on South Georgia culling reindeer.
    The Norwegian government were contracted by the UK to shoot every reindeer on the island. Four Norwegians spent 2 months (summer) in 2013 & 2014 shooting every reindeer they could find. All in the name of preventing ecological damage and returning the island to its original fauna as the reindeer were an invasive species introduced by Norwegian whale hunters.
    They had to use 308 (flown across from Stanley base on the Falklands).
    He couldn't understand why I was not aware of this - he'd shot 1200 alone and was sick to death of shooting reindeer. Sounds like a hard life but the remoteness and daily grind really does take the edge off it.
    I explained the badger fiasco and how hunting/shooting is viewed in the UK. He was horrified.
    If you google the story it is visible but low key and blamed on the Norwegians. Crackin bit of spin. I can just imagine the headlines if the connection ever gets made.

Interesting. I've had a look at the topography of the Island and some photos on Google. I can see why they needed to do it in the summer. I wonder if the venison was put into the food chain?

The original plan was to prepare it and ship it on a freezer ship to Argentina for human consumption - probably end up in the UK as Corned Beef (I hate the stuff).
    This proved too costly (South Georgia really is miles from anywhere) and actually no-one wanted it.
    It was also just too much aggro because of the numbers involved.
    End result was to drag the carcasses down to the sea and let the seals, killers whales, gulls & petrels do the work.

Well some must have made it to human consumption as the Malvia house hotel has it on the menu.

What a f'ing waste !!!!

I'm not agreeing the ethics one way it another regarding shooting them clean in

But decision was made ... Least they could do would be to include carcass removal & use it
    Bloody food banks in our towns never mind hunger in 3rd. World countries & some of the best meat in the world left to rot !

Paul

Google references a UEA report suggesting present cull levels in the UK are too low. I hope they're not going to start some kind of mass cull here, that will put a dampener on things.
    CH

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    What a f'ing waste !!!!

I'm not agreeing the ethics one way it another regarding shooting them clean in

But decision was made ... Least they could do would be to include carcass removal & use it
    Bloody food banks in our towns never mind hunger in 3rd. World countries & some of the best meat in the world left to rot !

Paul
    with the logistics of freezing and transporting that amount for humane consumption, it would be cheaper and of more benefit to send dried foods etc to the third world, how do you think a 3rd world village would store the meat, meat plays a very small part of the diet in poorer country's.

I have to agree it does sound a waste but, the company I work for did some work down there a number of years ago and to say it was a logistical nightmare trying to get equipment in and out would be an understatment. Even getting personel there wasnt easy... Think remote and then some....

Cracking place to visit if you love wildlife. The diving was fantastic too, just a tad cold!

Quote Originally Posted by stecad View Post
    Just returned from a few days on Moose in Norway. Had a good chat with one of the rangers on the Hardangarvidda (manages the wild reindeer - very interesting job) who had just returned from his second 2 month stint on South Georgia culling reindeer.
    The Norwegian government were contracted by the UK to shoot every reindeer on the island. Four Norwegians spent 2 months (summer) in 2013 & 2014 shooting every reindeer they could find. All in the name of preventing ecological damage and returning the island to its original fauna as the reindeer were an invasive species introduced by Norwegian whale hunters.
    They had to use 308 (flown across from Stanley base on the Falklands).
    He couldn't understand why I was not aware of this - he'd shot 1200 alone and was sick to death of shooting reindeer. Sounds like a hard life but the remoteness and daily grind really does take the edge off it.
    I explained the badger fiasco and how hunting/shooting is viewed in the UK. He was horrified.
    If you google the story it is visible but low key and blamed on the Norwegians. Crackin bit of spin. I can just imagine the headlines if the connection ever gets made.

I read about this last year online.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-20962250

please see date on the above link ; 9 Jan 2013

Regards,
    Glendine.