Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitches...

Bitches...

Why do owners of bitches insist in bringing them out close to or in season when they should be left at home? I have had two instances in a week where menstrual dogs have spoiled the day.
    I own three intact Chessies and one fella asked me to keep my fertile males at home for an evening duck flight as his lab bitch was in season and also a guest brought a bitch to our shoot on Saturday fully in heat...

Menstrual? Oestrous? Dunno
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. William Blake

I have only been on the other end having only ever owned bitches but it takes no effort to leave the bitch at home if it is near or in heat. It does feel like I've lost a limb when I go out shooting without them but saves ruining the day for everyone else or getting an unexpected litter of pups. There are a couple of dog owners I know that I am not even sure if they would know if it was in heat or not - could be sheer ignorance.

Many a litter has been produced from shooting day encounters. As CW184 says much is down to ignorance but on one occasion I can remember I am sure the owner brought the bitch with the intent of getting a free stud from a good dog. Maybe no papers but the quality of the pups would just be the same.

All dogs should be under full control at all times when out - whether both male & female. There are two sides to every story. If owners can't manage to keep all their (multiple) male dogs under full control in every situation they should also leave (some of them) them at home.
    A bitch needs her exercise right through the season so there is a case to take one out for proper exercise - I'd agree that they shouldn't be allowed to run off distracting every male in the area.
    A shoot day is not the place for a ripe bitch I agree & only an idiot would subject a bitch to the likely harassment. BUT! Shoot members with male dogs don't have unique right to the countryside & should remember their responsibilities too.
    It takes two to tango!

Ian

Menstrual bitches ruining a days shooting.....

hmmmmm...
    so many jokes so little time!

Bitches in season should be left at home. Simple really. 95% of dogs on 95% of shoots are so poorly trained anyway that adding a in season bitch To the mix is asking for even more trouble.

Yorric... pray tell us how you can beat out a drive with a male dog and a bitch in heat without her getting pinned?

Apart from the obvious, no dog will work properly if any bitch in heat is in the area,no excuse for a bitch in heat to be on a shoot.

Exactly because you would expect to leave a bitch, in heat, at home on shoot days many dog owners buy a dog rather than a bitch !!