Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used a GKD portable high seat?!

Has anyone used a GKD portable high seat?!

As per title guys and girls, noticed these on eBay the other day look really good. I have three areas on my stalking ground that would benefit from a high seat but cannot be left unattended for too long and some places I would like to spend a bit of time keeping an eye out for deer. If you have used this seat and recommend it let me know, or if you have experience of them been as much use as a chocolate tea pot then you know what to do! Thanks again in advance for all your brilliant help and advice

http://www.gdktrading.co.uk/other-sh...seat-high-seat

Quote Originally Posted by chrishorner View Post
    As per title guys and girls, noticed these on eBay the other day look really good. I have three areas on my stalking ground that would benefit from a high seat but cannot be left unattended for too long and some places I would like to spend a bit of time keeping an eye out for deer. If you have used this seat and recommend it let me know, or if you have experience of them been as much use as a chocolate tea pot then you know what to do! Thanks again in advance for all your brilliant help and advice

http://www.gdktrading.co.uk/other-sh...seat-high-seat

I have one and here is a video of me putting it up.

My experience with them is I'd rather carrying in my own climbing sticks and millennium M100U.

Pros - semi portable tree stand, gets you up to the seat 2.4m. Has a shooting rail. Telescoping ladder allows height adjustment. Folds flat so good for car boots.

Cons - Heavy, carrying straps awkward and uncomfortable. Feet on rung uncomfortable. Ladder flexes. Support bar hangs loose and has to be carried. The rachet strap is poor quality and you should replace it. Can be dangerous climbing on unstable ground before you secure the ratchet strap. Doesn't pack very well nor sit on your back.

I recently put a mate in one. He didn't mind it but I was able to drive right to the tree. If I had to carry it in for a mile with my rifle and gear forget it. For certain applications it will be fine. For me, for other applications I have much better options. I bought this stand before I knew much about tree stand hunting. I really only bring it out for visitors.

Brilliant review, I am 15 stone so with the weight of a rifle and stalking clothes it may be a bit much for it to cope with? I have one walk of 400 yards behind our farm on edge of a wood where there is a lot of Roe traffic so will set it up and sit out until last light then come back at first light next day. Then take it home in the car so no worries there unless im too heavy? Other spot is a short walk too but on uneven ground. Thank you Mchughcb

If I was going to modify it, and maybe I will some day the things that need fixing are.

1. Seat support bar, must somehow be easily attached to chair during transport and not make any noise (steel on steel clanging)
    2. Carry straps replaced somehow with a better units, preferably with ones that have a little clip to hold them together across your chest because the ladder is quite wide.
    3. Change the cinch strap out for the chair back for a set of lone wolf cinch straps and install two versa buttons on either side.
    4. Look at a high quality ratchet strap for the seat and one which has less hook play on the right side. The reason is on small trees the ratchet is almost behind the tree when attached making almost impossible to get undone easily as you can't see what you are doing and I don't like siting on my kneed on the seat trying to reach around.
    5. Some type of small spikes at the bottom of the ladder would stop it potentially kicking out when on rough ground. Currently it just has some hard plastic, designed for putting on hard surface such as concrete but not that grippy on mud/soil/grass etc.

I agree with mchughcb. I wouldn't want to carry it a great distance with a rifle and the rest of my gear as it is heavy. When folded and been carried I found the different sections banged together particularly the shooting rail so if you were wanting to stalk into a location with it then you've got your work cut out if you want to avoid been detected. I have no problems with heights but as mchughcb mentioned, can be dangerous when climbing up when unsecured to the tree when you are trying to get the rackets tightened. I wouldn't like to try and put one up in half light.

That said, if you have a trail that roe are moving along and you don't want a permanent highseat put up then these will give you that freedom.

Thanks for the advice, these things go for 80 or so on eBay plus postage so even if I have to buy a new ratchet strap its not a massive cost. I will get bidding

The one other dangerous thing I don't like about this stand I'd when you have secured it to the tree you must turn around on the rung to sit down. As the shooting rail is not designed to be load bearing you don't have a lot of choice to hold on to when trying to turn your feet 180 degrees on a small ladder rung.

I'm not sure why USA platforms aren't more popular. One climbing stick, and a millennium hang on stand is half the weight, same height, faster setup, quieter and a large platform for your feet even if you want to stand. They come with a accessory shooting rail if you want it.

Will cost more but its worth it.

Hmmm may put it on the back burner now, don't want to drop my new Sako 85 and Meopta Scope on the deck followed by me if I have to do a 180 to sit down!

got 3 of them now in our syndicate had no problems at all with using them for what we wanted them for, that is carrying a short distance to use on a problem area and then move to another, easy enough to set up and use, we have had a problem with a broken rung on one of the ladders phoned gkd and a new ladder was with us 2 days later, we have all used them for 2 years now so cant really complain about them at all

nice and positive feedback, and sound's like great service from GKD which is a plus. Have you modified the seat in any way JB7X57? Is your terrain farm land or woodland?