Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer seeking to water when shot

Deer seeking to water when shot

Discussed a few times.

here's another example. this time just a 2yr old red cull stag.

perfect h/l shot from around 200yds, ran about 40 yds to the river, then about 50yds upstream before collapsing.

Attachment 48219

Bet it was interesting getting it out of there!

In this part of the world it's quite common for a hunted deer, (on horseback with hounds), to be brought to bay in water where it is then dispatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    In this part of the world it's quite common for a hunted deer, (on horseback with hounds), to be brought to bay in water where it is then dispatched.
    Mid Devon?!

Ive had the same happen to me 5 or 6 times with stags,i put it down to the deer getting one back at me!

I have had this experience recently when I witnessed my friend shoot a stag with a lung shot and it ran for a tiny lochan. I was wondering why it went for the water, I was told that this was a common occurrence on this land!.

I look forward to find out if there is any logical explanation behind this behaviour.

Water could be there protection and you can see wild Elk etc head for water when pursued with Wolf's .The other when the adrenalin is up the body starts to over heat and water would bring the body temperature down quickly. Truth I don't know but nice to chew the fat.

Last edited by 6pointer; 20-10-2014 at 19:04.

I have seen it a number of times, I guess water is normally down hill path of least resistance, I had heard the hypothesis that the animal is loosing fluids fast but unless not mortally wounded I am not buying in to the fact they get the urge to drink!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by xavierdoc View Post
    Mid Devon?!
    Yes, never heard of any of these?

Tiverton Staghounds
    Devon and Somerset Staghounds
    Quantock Staghounds

http://www.devonandsomersetstaghounds.net/

I understand this was taken quite close to here as well:

Attachment 48226

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Water could be there protection and you can see wild Elk etc head for water when pursued with Wolf's .The other when the adrenalin is up the body starts to over heat and water would bring the body temperature down quickly. Truth I don't know but nice to chew the fat.
    That's right, deer often have longer legs in comparison with their pursuers and their antlers are their protection. If they can get into a position where they have feet on the bottom of the riverbed and a wolf/predator is swimming, the wolf/predator has no way to dodge the antlers of the deer and will not attack. A wolf would struggle to tackle any large prey whilst swimming