Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After some advice on a small permission

After some advice on a small permission

Hi all,

I've got a new permission which I'm struggling with at the moment. It's about 10 acres and is basically a mansion with a large garden. about 300m long. I't got a main road down one side of it and then a belt of dense woodland about 1/4 mile deep up a steep hill which is the only safe direction to shoot in. The woodland doesn't really have any paths or tracks in it and is very steep ground and hard and noisy going on foot. The landowner says he's being plagued by roe which are eating his wife's garden and I did see one at about 2 in the afternoon when I had a look round with him a couple of months ago. The place is pretty busy as there's people coming and going most of the day so I'm really limited to mornings.

I've been out on two mornings before dawn now and set up with sticks looking up the hill but not seen anything yet, although I did hear a roe barking as it cleared off when I arrived the last time I went. I'm thinking it will be better when the leaves are off the trees as I'll be able to see more.

Does anyone have any ideas for how best to approach this sort of thing?

Many thanks.

Put feed down were you want them salt lick blocks etc then nail them in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by J111 View Post
    Hi all,

I've got a new permission which I'm struggling with at the moment. It's about 10 acres and is basically a mansion with a large garden. about 300m long. I't got a main road down one side of it and then a belt of dense woodland about 1/4 mile deep up a steep hill which is the only safe direction to shoot in. The woodland doesn't really have any paths or tracks in it and is very steep ground and hard and noisy going on foot. The landowner says he's being plagued by roe which are eating his wife's garden and I did see one at about 2 in the afternoon when I had a look round with him a couple of months ago. The place is pretty busy as there's people coming and going most of the day so I'm really limited to mornings.

I've been out on two mornings before dawn now and set up with sticks looking up the hill but not seen anything yet, although I did hear a roe barking as it cleared off when I arrived the last time I went. I'm thinking it will be better when the leaves are off the trees as I'll be able to see more.

Does anyone have any ideas for how best to approach this sort of thing?

Many thanks.

Bait (apples/sugar beet) and a high seat. Not stalking but it is management.

A Trailcam or two will be handy to get an idea of when they are moving about.

You mention that there are a lot of people moving about during the day, but if they are used to seeing people all the time, you will be surprised how quickly they may re-appear when things go quiet and also that they may not run that far when disturbed.

And if you want to form a pincer movement on them I am also in cambs and would gladly help!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

On a sunny winter day set yourself up after your morning paper and coffee (so say 11am-3pm) as the deer is likely to want to sun themselves and nibble some tender shoots, if there is a lot of traffic they will be used to that and still show up.
    I always question the perceived wisdom of the stalking world where most people think most deer are shot around sunrise and sunset. Maybe most deer are shot around sunrise and sunset because most stalkers only go out around sunrise and sunset?
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Portable high seat set it up the night before then go one hour before sunrise sit for minimum three hours. I am sure the baits will not work if its a big fancy house there will be more than enough food for roe.

A place were I go from time to time and after dealing with the direct impacts I then deal with out lying roe on the surrounding farm.

Totally agree Erik! Most roe deer in winter time are active in the daytime and the late Ken McArthur and myself shot more between the the hours of 10am and 2pm than in the mornings or evenings. A little bait may help but use a high seat safety wise,
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    On a sunny winter day set yourself up after your morning paper and coffee (so say 11am-3pm) as the deer is likely to want to sun themselves and nibble some tender shoots, if there is a lot of traffic they will be used to that and still show up.
    I always question the perceived wisdom of the stalking world where most people think most deer are shot around sunrise and sunset. Maybe most deer are shot around sunrise and sunset because most stalkers only go out around sunrise and sunset?
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Portable high seat set it up the night before then go one hour before sunrise sit for minimum three hours. I am sure the baits will not work if its a big fancy house there will be more than enough food for roe.
    I agree with this, it is the way i dealt with one of my area's (3 acres) but i don't put down food for the deer.
    I wasted so much time on my place (they were never there, just the evidence) i decided they could ring me at anytime when a deer was in their garden and i would try and get there as i am usually only 15 minutes away, it worked out a few weeks ago, they rang me, 15 minutes later i arrived, 1 minute later a roe buck was down.
    I have put this up before but it illustrates what damage the deer are doing, classic browse line.

Cheers
    Richard

Nice one guys. Some great ideas there - thanks. Will try baiting an area and seeing how that goes. Picked up a sack of sugar beat on the way home from work.
    Might also try a high seat up in the woods away form the house for some midday action as Erik suggests.
    On trail cams, I see the range of the PIR thing is only 10 m. Is that of any use to us really???
    Cheers