Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well chaffed to Well chuffed.

Well chaffed to Well chuffed.

I went to the range tonight to shoot and there was a Federal Police Officer there practicing. He informed me that he had reserved the range for his practice session that evening and that I should take my gear down to the 50M range if i wanted to shoot. He would need all of the 100 yard range -all six firing stations- for his practice.

I was instantly irritated. You can not 'reserve' our range for one person, and the Cops are banned from organized practice during the month leading up to hunting season anyhow. I politely told him to kiss my a&& and asked him if the range was safe to put up a target. He said he would let me shoot as it was getting on to dark anyhow and yes, the range was safe. I pulled out a life sized deer cut-out my girlfriend was practicing on over the last few weeks. It has masking tape patches all over the chest and he kind of snorted out a laugh. I alked down to the 100M backer, set up the target and came back. He pronounced the range hot. He then just watched me. I fired five shots standing with my Tikka 7mm-08 and called a cease fire to go look. He followed me down to collect his targets but wandered to my deer target first: All five rounds went a bit over just 3 inches center to center.

Inside I was, as you say, well chuffed and thanking the red gods of shooting (that normally allow only a 4-5" group) for letting me shoot this small group in this jerk's presence. I looked at the target critically and said, "Well. I guess that will have to do" and pulled it down.

He was still down range when I pulled away.
    Lord, that was fun. ~Muir

And the moral of the story is....?

Good shooting Muir. Not sure that too many of us could produce that group from standing?

Baguio

Well done muir I guess a similar feeling of anxiety is felt when we do our DSC1 shooting test fortunantly it wasn't in the presence of a complete arse coincedently I'm taking a firearms officer out for a stalk next month for fallow who is a real nice guy the moral GOOD and BAD in every profession I guess ( for RD )
    norma

Now go sit down until the excitement has passed. You should have stayed a bit longer he would have felt so silly he would have driven off and left his brass

Everyone on the SD week managed to prove they could successfully hit the target, even with me helping...

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Everyone on the SD week managed to prove they could successfully hit the target, even with me helping...

John
    Would that help be in the form of the deck chaired audience with scopes and binoculars sitting just behind the shooter and sniggering John, you know just to put the shooter at ease?

I have a photograph somewhere of this sort of "relaxed" zeroing session, I will have to dig it out. The post test cinnamon buns are a must though, they must have a mild sort of sedative affect on the shooters because they all seemed much relaxed after dosing up on them.
    Last edited by 8x57; 21-10-2014 at 08:06.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

That's the one Mike, only I have now banned sniggering, full belly laughs only are now allowed No buns this time, I forgot to take them up

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I will be there in just over a week's time, let me know if he shows up again and i will try and do as you did!
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Would that help be in the form of the deck chaired audience with scopes and binoculars sitting just behind the shooter and sniggering John, you know just to put the shooter at ease?

I have a photograph somewhere of this sort of "relaxed" zeroing session, I will have to dig it out. The post test cinnamon buns are a must though, they must have a mild sort of sedative affect on the shooters because they all seemed much relaxed after dosing up on them.
    Lord! I've been there! with Prince Charming offering his saged advice and sarcasm as you begin to squeeze off....~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    And the moral of the story is....?
    Know enough to not press your luck, and quit while you're ahead!~Muir