Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: woodcock

woodcock

When do they start coming in , in any numbers ?

Around the November full moon, usually, so give them another month or so.

The woodcock moon used to be a date I really looked forward to back when I had access to woods where they visited. Still, it was good while it lasted.

The main fall is usually with the November moon, with a top up in December November moon will be early this year so while there will no doubt be some I don't think the main fall will be until December.Weather where they are coming from also plays a part they can't feed when the ground is frozen so move on in front of the frost.

the new moon is around the 23 oct so the moon will be full 14 days later, a easterly blow can bring them a day or so early ,olso a stiff west or south west wind can put them later ,give them a few days peace to feed up ,a new landed bird can make a duffer shot his day ,the same bird settled in would find them out ,so dont be in a rush to knock them up .

Love to see them and often do when armed with the squirrel basher and just after nearly treading on them!

K

found over 20 woodcock today with my pointer out over some of the same ground yesterday and we found 2 , they seem to have had a good breeding year, we have had some clear nights and the moon now over 60 percent they will proberly move on south in a day or so , so it looks like it might be plenty about this year

My dogs flushed one this afternoon, where i've not put one up before, although I have reliable repots of fields adjacent to the shore, being thick with them in the past.

Steve.

Flushed my first one this morning-would have been an easy shot but I was checking feeders not shooting .

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    Flushed my first one this morning-would have been an easy shot but I was checking feeders not shooting .
    OK, now I'm excited, and far too early too...

Didn't see any on Thursday but that was made up for by putting up a magnificent and frankly ethereal-like pale yellow fallow buck when out shooting squirrel with my 12-year old daughter.

Gave her the fright of her life and ever after to be known as the "White Beast of Ru*sh*tt". Well, it was almost Allhallows Eve and the mist very definitely was about the woods.

A moment to treasure.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.