Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflicting C.O.L Info

Conflicting C.O.L Info

Hi All

I am currently working up a load for my .270Win with Hodgdon H4350 and Hornady 130gr SP (#2730). The Hodgdon website gives a C.O.L of 3.180" and the powder tub info gives a C.O.L of 3.280" giving a difference of 0.1". I don't think this is a real problem as my chamber is long enough to cope with the longer C.O.L

Could someone please let me know what the C.O.L from the Hornady manual for this load and powder is so I have a starting point.

Thanks

Prov

Alan,

Don't know about the Hornady manual, but the Lee manual (2nd edition) gives it as 3.180, that should do you fine.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Alan,

Don't know about the Hornady manual, but the Lee manual (2nd edition) gives it as 3.180, that should do you fine.

John
    Hi John

Long time no hear

I will start with that and work out to my own seating depth.

Hope all is well in the North.

ATB

Alan

Hornady 4th Edition for 130gr SP #2730 gives C.O.L. 3.275

I tend to find the bullet I use in a factory offering and measure their COL and work to that, the manufacturers put quite a lot of effort into getting it right! It's a good starting point but I don't go shorter.

Thanks deer man

I am using Norma 130gr SP at the moment and they are much shorter at 3.134" but are a different profile to the Hornady.

ATB

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by The deer man View Post
    Hornady 4th Edition for 130gr SP #2730 gives C.O.L. 3.275

I tend to find the bullet I use in a factory offering and measure their COL and work to that, the manufacturers put quite a lot of effort into getting it right! It's a good starting point but I don't go shorter.
    That's the best place to start: with a known factory load that shoots well.
    Set your dies off this factory load, even for a different bullet, because you will be setting off the ogive that works for your chamber and throat.

..and the powder makers study the interior ballistics of a bullet seated to the depth they list. Pick yer poison!~Muir

If the bullet has a cannelure, use it: seat it to the bottom of the cannelure and applpy a Lee Factory Crimp. COL is not the most critical factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    If the bullet has a cannelure, use it: seat it to the bottom of the cannelure and applpy a Lee Factory Crimp. COL is not the most critical factor.
    No truer words.....~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    No truer words.....~Muir
    . After years of kerfuffle with measuring the exact length to the origin of the rifling and having a problem with blackened cases, Muir took the time to convince me of the wisdom, as outlined above by both he and Southern. So I am a convert.
    The Lee Factory Crimp die is an excellent piece of kit and can be used whether the bullet has a cannelure or not. It really does make a difference and I am surprised that more UK reloaders don't use it.