Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder residue and airport security

Powder residue and airport security

Has anyone been stopped going through an airport because a sniffer machine or dog has picked up firearms discharge residue?.

I was speaking to someone the other day who had the airport sniffer dog take an interest in him.
    It turned out that he picked up all his cases and put them in his Barbour jacket pockets...and he was wearing the jacket (no cases !).

It's something I've never thought of but as the equipment they use these days gets more sensitive.....
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

A similar thought has occurred to me along with double-checking the darkest recesses of my camera bag, that doubles as a range kit holder, for any stowaway .22 rimfire ammo!

K

About a year ago my carry on was subjected to a sweep with the 'electronic sniffer' (where they swab the bag and run it through some kind of mass spec).

As they were doing it, I suddenly realised that the back pack in question was my usual stalking/bunnying/range bag, and had until they day before had about 20 odd empty cases rattling around in the bottom.

I was very relieved when we were waved through with no further questions.

And then I began to think about it. Hang on - there would have been a non-trivial amount of residue in there. And yet it wasn't picked up.

It alarmed me - clearly, some of the equipment is not anywhere near as effective as it probably should be.

I flew to NZ using my roesack as hand luggage for all the usual bits & pieces you need when travelling. On emptying it a couple of days later I found an empty 243 case in one of the pockets which had been through all the scanners between Edinburgh & Wellington. Not terribly re-assuring. Bio-security seemed more of an issue on arrival in NZ with stalking/walking boots being given the best clean they've ever had.

Most airports use a swab machine which normally analyses residue but mostly for explosives and drugs not usually for gun powder but I could find out easily enough
    Are you sure you know what you're talking about

Happens a lot wi me ..... Thru airports regularly .... Guys in Aberdeen know me on site ... They swab & 1st time I was positive reading .... Been reloading in morning.... I explained he said " I know. We can tell be read out what type etc" wasn't worried in slightest

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    I flew to NZ using my roesack as hand luggage for all the usual bits & pieces you need when travelling. On emptying it a couple of days later I found an empty 243 case in one of the pockets which had been through all the scanners between Edinburgh & Wellington. Not terribly re-assuring. Bio-security seemed more of an issue on arrival in NZ with stalking/walking boots being given the best clean they've ever had.
    A friend of mine recently flew in to Heathrow from Dallas via New York, only when he got to London did he find that he had three .375 H&H Mag rounds in his coat pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehopper View Post
    A friend of mine recently flew in to Heathrow from Dallas via New York, only when he got to London did he find that he had three .375 H&H Mag rounds in his coat pocket!
    some weight not to notice , perhaps he had a brick in the opposite pocket to level him up

So a reasonable chance of slipping through Heathrow with a raincoat stuffed with Varget??

K

Never had a problem, even came back from the USA .with 50 .22 rounds in my rucksack as hand luggage, my mate got pulled for a can of furgis coffee, which failed the swab, after telling them they could keep it as we would miss our flight, they insisted we took it with us