Thread: Hill jacket/layering

Hill jacket/layering

What's your preferred outfit for being on the hill around now/November ?

Looking at at new jackets, and would appreciate some members advice. Appreciate it depends on the weather but everyone has their favourite kit!

Swazi Thar XP is well worth a look.
    I love mine

Swazi kit looks top notch but out of my budget unfortunately. What about the ridge line torrent? Looks like a copy of the wapiti. Heard the ridge line smocks are like a boiler bag, but surely the torrent with its zips and a wicking layer + micro fleece would do the trick?

If cold then Buffalo Special 6 smock - these are now issued and so can be picked up mil surplus as "thermal smock" or similar. If it isn't so cold or depending on conditions then a Paramo Trail Shirt.
    Either DPM or MTP windproof smock as normal jacket for most conditions with a surplus gore-tex jacket (I use either a British DPM or a German Flecktarn one) to be worn under the smock in very wet weather.
    Some people would wear just the Buffalo but I like the windproof smock over the top.

With this you have a great clothing system that can cope with all weathers and always leaves your windproof smock on top so keeping your pockets available and dampening any noise from gore-tex or inner layers. There's probably nothing better for stalking.

If I have to travel by air and so am limited by weight etc. then I wear a Musto Highlands jacket as it is suitable for wearing out and in the airport etc. and also does OK on the hill but it isn't as good a jacket for stalking as the windproof smock.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Try get a austrian army mountain goretex they are very good failing that a old british Dpm goretex the old style with the external hood are better than the lightweight version. You can layer underneath I like helly hansen lifa and ussen tops when it gets cold either my browning hells canyon or a fjallraven fleece but any fleece will do. For serious weather a buffalo 6 shirt underneath a goretex and your set

The new Army MTP (Multi Terain Pattern) goretex jackets are perfect in colour for hill stalking at this time of year, completely wind & waterproof & for 35 quid for a brand new one from ebay u cant go wrong, I layer up underneath with a merino base layer and/or fleece
    (p.s dont get the light weight one get a standard one with a hood, and they are large fitting !)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof...item4185ed4897
    Last edited by bairn79; 23-10-2014 at 00:01.
    bairn79

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    If cold then Buffalo Special 6 smock - these are now issued and so can be picked up mil surplus as "thermal smock" or similar. If it isn't so cold or depending on conditions then a Paramo Trail Shirt.
    Either DPM or MTP windproof smock as normal jacket for most conditions with a surplus gore-tex jacket (I use either a British DPM or a German Flecktarn one) to be worn under the smock in very wet weather.
    Some people would wear just the Buffalo but I like the windproof smock over the top.

With this you have a great clothing system that can cope with all weathers and always leaves your windproof smock on top so keeping your pockets available and dampening any noise from gore-tex or inner layers. There's probably nothing better for stalking.

If I have to travel by air and so am limited by weight etc. then I wear a Musto Highlands jacket as it is suitable for wearing out and in the airport etc. and also does OK on the hill but it isn't as good a jacket for stalking as the windproof smock.
    Sound advice here.

Dutch army gortex jacket. As it gets colder I will start wearing a British army cold weather jacket underneath. Whole rig comes to about 80 and lasted me for years.