Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new toy semi custom .223 and results

new toy semi custom .223 and results

finally got out to play properly with the new toy today ,i recently did a deal with james clark A.K.A jaeger SA on this semi custom howa based .223 with a bergara 1/9" barrel,boyds stock , mag conversion and ceracoated ,all put together VERY NICELY ,i was looking for a longer range fox tool at an affordable price ! and i certainly got it ,i ran the barrel in a couple of weeks back with some reloads from AN other

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...psf7ddb8f4.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...psc68aa51f.jpg

after a bit of advice and a cracking deal at the speed of light from mark "spud 1967" i settled on some hornady dies and this is the result of both ! first load workings !

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse5caeb9d.jpg
    http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps020958b3.jpg

CHUFFED ! given the conditions today ,wind 15-18mph and gusts to 27/28mph and a wobbly landy bonnet "YOU COULD SAY THAT !"
    thanks to both guys for a really fast efficient service at an excellent price ,i am quite certain that given a little work on the loads i can improve it a tadge more ,
    Last edited by glyn; 22-10-2014 at 20:31.

only one photobucket link is working so can't see the groups bud

very nice , he does a nice rifle.

think thats working now !

Looking good Glyn, hopefully you'll tighten them up off a bag rather than a Landy bonnet!

it will be good to see how tight they get off proper rests/bags but in all fairness it will be used across the landy probably 95% of the time so as long as its performing off that ok ,thats what matters ! but VERY pleased with the initial results ,goes to show that you dont need to spend a fortune to get something a bit special !

Quote Originally Posted by glyn View Post
    finally got out to play properly with the new toy today ,i recently did a deal with james clark A.K.A jaeger SA on this semi custom howa based .223 with a bergara 1/9" barrel,boyds stock , mag conversion and ceracoated ,all put together VERY NICELY ,i was looking for a longer range fox tool at an affordable price ! and i certainly got it ,i ran the barrel in a couple of weeks back with some reloads from AN other

after a bit of advice and a cracking deal at the speed of light from mark "spud 1967" i settled on some hornady dies and this is the result of both ! first load workings !

CHUFFED ! given the conditions today ,wind 15-18mph and gusts to 27/28mph and a wobbly landy bonnet "YOU COULD SAY THAT !"
    thanks to both guys for a really fast efficient service at an excellent price ,i am quite certain that given a little work on the loads i can improve it a tadge more ,

That's a nice rifle James has put together for you, I'm also looking for a .223 at the moment so I'll have to get in touch with him.
    Last edited by old_n07; 23-10-2014 at 12:00.

Quote Originally Posted by old_n07 View Post

That's a nice rifle James has put together for you, I'm also looking for a .223 at the moment so I'll have to get in touch with him.

That is it in a nutshell...put together! What I do isn't difficult, I keep telling folk it's not the dark art people make it out to be and you don't always get what you pay for. At the end of the day good machining is good machining, doesn't matter who does it.

It is a cracking little .223, it went together very nicely, so much so I didn't another for myself.

please let let me know what sort of thing you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    That is it in a nutshell...put together! What I do isn't difficult, I keep telling folk it's not the dark art people make it out to be and you don't always get what you pay for. At the end of the day good machining is good machining, doesn't matter who does it.

It is a cracking little .223, it went together very nicely, so much so I didn't another for myself.

please let let me know what sort of thing you're after.
    james i think you do yourself an injustice ! there is obviously a lot of skill and experience involved in what you are doing as well as close tolerance machine work there ,maybe not a dark art that some do profess !but certainly more than JUST good machine work .

That's good going in breezy conditions off a bonnet. I've not long had my 30-06 back after some work from James the work was very nice I'm going to put up a thread after I've been Perthshire on the hinds and worked up a proper load as I don't think the factory ammo Im using temporally does its justice. Having said that it was still sub 1 inch off the bench. James sent me a few pics during the rebarrel process and I must say I was very impressed with the attention to detail and quality of work done as was Danny Ryan. I'm going to get him to do a 6.5 for me when 1. I decide which 6.5 I would like and 2. When I decide which barrel to go for.