Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a novice choose a flatter shooting calibre for their one and only rifle???

Should a novice choose a flatter shooting calibre for their one and only rifle???

Once again I'm looking to learn from the collective wisdom of SD members, please help?

I have been looking at the 6.5x55 SWE as an all round calibre (will probably only ever have one stalking rifle) and know this is a bit of a hot potato on SD forum and it is often a lively debate that follows when someone stirs the pot
    . As calibre has been discussed lots I don't want to start another thread on that issue. I am however interested in whether the more experienced shots would recommend a flatter shooting calibre to novices, I have shot three bucks with an estate rifle in .243 which was zeroed to an inch high at 100 yards and dropped an inch at 200 yards, so whilst out stalking, the advice was aim at traditional heart and lung shot and as long as it was in range you hit the 'engine room' without to much bother or getting to hung up on 'holding over'. Is a 6.5x55 Swe a bit 'loopy' for a novice, do you think that this is probably an unnecessary added complication. Happy to hearing your opinions.... ready, steady, GO..

Look at how little difference there is in trajectory between the .243 with 85 to 110 grain bullets, versus 6.5x55mm with 120 to 140-gr bullets, out to 300 yards ---> less than you can see, smaller than you can probably hit.

If you are restraining your shots to well under 200 yards, you cannot tell the difference in trajectory.
    Anyone good enough to ethically shoot deer at 300 yards is going to be able to do so with a .303 Brit or .300 Win Mag, 7x57R or 7mm Rem Mag.

Concentrate on developing your shooting skills. The recoil is light on either cartridge. My personal opinion is that the 6.5x55, being in a whole next class of lethality over the .243, offers a bit of forgiveness for a less-than-perfect shot placement. And it will kill moose, red deer, wild boar, etc.

A novice should get the rifle he wants. Then he should go out and shoot it and get proficient with it and not fill his, her novice head with faster, flatter and all the other bollox that is talked on here

I'm honour bound to say that you need a 7x75R Vom Hofe Super Express. Now that's out of the way, I'd say that a "flat-shooting" round may make no practical difference under 200 metres, but it may perhaps boost your confidence to know that if you put the crosshairs in the right place, you'll hit the deer near enough where you meant to without having to think about holdover and such. I use a 7mm-08 zeroed an inch high or thereabouts at 100m and I don't give drop a thought. That wasn't always the case though, it came with a bit more experience.

Essentially a 6.5 Swedish will be just fine and do the same. It's just a matter of confidence through practice. Go with what you fancy! And if that's a 7x75R SEVH, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    A novice should get the rifle he wants. Then he should go out and shoot it and get proficient with it and not fill his, her novice head with faster, flatter and all the other bollox that is talked on here
    Also, flatter-shooting is no substitute for closer and steadier.

i would concentrate on developing your stalking skills rather than thinking to much about flatter trajectorys , any legal deer calibre zeroed an inch high at 100 yards is going to do what you want it to at novice distances , ie up too 200 yrds , shooting a live animal in a position that isnt bench rest conditions with your adrenalin rushing is going to test your nerve enough , keep it real and dont run before you can walk , just get out ,enjoy the stalk , if you fluff it so what , its there for another day , you will get more enjoyment doing so , happy stalking ,arron.

A 6.5 isn't flat?

Try loading it with a 120gr BT, then compare it to a 243...
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Bladerunner, I use one rifle for every thing from fox to reds and also one round. 6.5x55 140g soft point. I didn't need to get too hung up on drop I was advised as a novice should not be "pushing" the range at which shots are taken. With experience and familiarity with one round and practice confidence and ability grows. This combination serves me well to 250yrds in the appropriate conditions with the vast majority of shots between 60 and 160. Buy the best you can practice and get closer !

Such a shame some idiot has filled the OP's head with flat shooting BO****.
    If you like the 6.5x55 then go with it.And enjoy it !
    Rifle shooting is all about putting your bullet where you want it and learning where that is at distance.

Unless your shooting mice you have a good sized target !

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    I like your thinking, 'beware the man with only one rifle'. Get one rifle and learn to shoot it well very much the keep it simple stupid theory, I agree maybe I'm over thinking it