Thread: Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe

Warning.
    Export licenses required.
    Just wasted most of a day fighting with cyberspace and the Dept of Business and Skills aka Dept Trade & Industry.
    We now need Govt export/Import license to take 1. Firearms and 2, Ammo on indirect flights to Zim. And twenty days to process. Hope its not twenty working days as I am away in twenty days time when we found this out !
    List of countries with exemption includes south Africa but after today declaring copiously its not a submarine missile torpedo etc, and consignee is also end user, I have had enuf !

Quote Originally Posted by deerpath View Post
    Warning.
    Export licenses required.
    Just wasted most of a day fighting with cyberspace and the Dept of Business and Skills aka Dept Trade & Industry.
    We now need Govt export/Import license to take 1. Firearms and 2, Ammo on indirect flights to Zim. And twenty days to process. Hope its not twenty working days as I am away in twenty days time when we found this out !
    List of countries with exemption includes south Africa but after today declaring copiously its not a submarine missile torpedo etc, and consignee is also end user, I have had enuf !
    That's why you should only travel to RSA as "your trip". Your "local" then arranges for ZIM and no problems

Stan

Via Joburg was much more costly in time distance and expense ! Addis Ababa with Ethiopian Air was 20% cheaper but they were all bus drivers yesterday !

In that case you got what you deserved

Zimbabwe and Mozambique are all best served by driving overland from RSA. That's the "old Africa" and indeed the safest now. Best part of the trip.

Stan

Is flying via Joburg an option ?
    We need also proof that the Zim authorities will allow our rifles in. Do you know how we get that ?
    We have arranged to use PH's rifles instead and think it is HMG who are putting up the barriers !

Hi Deerpath it is part of the sanctions imposed on Mugabe, I have hunted there twice the last time 2005 and I used the PH's guns which was no problem though of course your own are better. On the last trip a guy who went with me after Elephant thought he would be clever and bypass the embargo by bringing his gun to SA first and then flying to Harare where the gun went missing meaning he had to miss 4 days of a 10 day hunt trying to find his gun.
    One bit of advice is that you should expect to be "taxed" at every opportunity and make sure you have plenty of dollars in small notes as these will help if you have problems as I did at the airport when leaving when they found a empty 416 case in my luggage leading to being detained in a Zim cell until I paid the "export fee" not a nice experience and there is no complaint procedure there.
    But apart from that a wonderful country with great hunting.
    Best of luck
    Regards Terry