Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercy mission

Mercy mission

I was giving a keeper friend of mine a bit of help today when he took a call from a vet asking him to assist in dispatching a wounded Fallow doe. It was in a garden of an old lady in a nearby village and she believed that it had been mauled by dogs. After a lot of searching and careful planning the animal was found and dispatched. On looking at the injury we discovered its entire bottom jaw had been blown off along with most of the tongue. Judging by the look of the wound it had been like it for several days so one can only guess the pain and distress the animal would of been in. We are guessing that it was the act of poachers rather than a misplaced round from a stalker but that we will never know. However it happened it was still a sad and distressing to see such a magnificent animal suffering in such a way. For those who are interested the location was just outside Stockbridge in Hampshire.

glad you managed to dispatch the animal and end its suffering, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Well done for taking the time to end the suffering,
    i see it's on my doorstep,
    we do suffer a bit from poaching.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Poachers in Stockbridge with a full bore rifle

Can I ask Bushy did you/the vet/old lady report this to the police? I was recently talking to the countryside liaison officer covering Romsey and he'd said one of the biggest problems is that when evidence of poaching is discovered it is rarely reported. I know it is unlikely that they will be able to do anything but it does mean they can build up a picture of the levels of poaching in the area, once reported that then is logged with a crime number, and once the police start getting a few reports they'll do something about it? modern policing is ruled by statistics and the more that is reported the better chance of action being taken. Also if they ever do catch anyone you'll be surprised at how they can link other incidents to the individuals involved (my partner works in intelligence for police and the technology now is frightening).

Well my take on it having a family farm not far from Romsey and knowing plenty of local farmers and keepers in the area, the local thieves and poachers are well known to the authorities but remain untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by White Hart View Post
    Well my take on it having a family farm not far from Romsey and knowing plenty of local farmers and keepers in the area, the local thieves and poachers are well known to the authorities but remain untouchable.
    untouchable? It's more they fit into the too difficult basket! Rural crime is supposed to be one of Thames Valley Police's priority crimes however it never gets the resources thrown at it to make a difference. I know that Thames Valley is very very low on resources and those they do have are chasing their arse's trying to sort out yesterday's crimes and it would seem proactive policing as we know it is a thing of the past. I would think that Hampshire is no different with the main of the resources being used to patrol the towns and cities where they can achieve quick wins.
    Policing is about "figures" and meeting "targets", so patrolling the more rural parts in the hope of catching a villain or two is likely to be way down the list of "real priorities".

All we can do is look out for ourselves and each other, share information and report any incidents or intelligence to the authorities in the vain hope that we can make a difference!

I have 6 years left to serve and that day cannot come soon enough! I don't like to wish my life away but things have changed and not for the better!

Bushy

Sounds more like someone attempting head shots for the game dealer to me
    Atb tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom reveley View Post
    Sounds more like someone attempting head shots for the game dealer to me
    Atb tom
    +1 That's just what it was thinking............!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
    untouchable? It's more they fit into the too difficult basket! Rural crime is supposed to be one of Thames Valley Police's priority crimes however it never gets the resources thrown at it to make a difference. I know that Thames Valley is very very low on resources and those they do have are chasing their arse's trying to sort out yesterday's crimes and it would seem proactive policing as we know it is a thing of the past. I would think that Hampshire is no different with the main of the resources being used to patrol the towns and cities where they can achieve quick wins.
    Policing is about "figures" and meeting "targets", so patrolling the more rural parts in the hope of catching a villain or two is likely to be way down the list of "real priorities".

All we can do is look out for ourselves and each other, share information and report any incidents or intelligence to the authorities in the vain hope that we can make a difference!

I have 6 years left to serve and that day cannot come soon enough! I don't like to wish my life away but things have changed and not for the better!

Bushy
    I have to say things have improved with the Farm / Horse watch initiatives, getting texts of dodgy vehicles etc but your right local stations and police houses are a thing of the past. Limited resources are the factor, there seems to be better representation at local events but to be fair while the guys are there, there not out and about. Our last break in saw police there in 2hrs, far better than the 2days of the previous time! My dad ( who's an OAP) had a vehicle full of lads cornered for quite some time in the attempt that the police would arrive soon but no such luck.

Thanks for your service Bushy really much appreciated, keep you chin up and carry on the good work mate. The guys are great we just need more of you! And well we need you to have more powers too!

I have to agree with Tom's comment most of the poached deer drop to the .22 around here!