View Poll Results: So cast your vote. Is the ACPO campaign an issue?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. The campaign is wrong and needs challenging.

94 76.42%
  • No. Its not an issue. Licence holders have nothing to fear and any reaction is an overreaction.

29 23.58%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote; Issue or not? ACPOs recent firearms campaign

Vote; Issue or not? ACPOs recent firearms campaign

Seeing as there is always the potential for a vocal minority to dominate any given thread on SD (Whoever feels most passionate at the time), here is a poll to see how SD really feel about the recent Firearms Campaign run by ACPO.

In case you have been living in a time capsule. ACPO publicised the launch of a campaign with two parts. 1. On the security of legally held firearms and the the fact the police could make unannounced visits to check. 2. A hotline for the general public to report 'concerns'.

See link,

ACPO press center

Quickly picked up on by the shooting community and the CA and others responded,

CA link

So cast your vote. Is it an issue?

Yes. The campaign is wrong and needs challenging.

No. Its not an issue. Licence holders have nothing to fear and any reaction is an overreaction.
    Last edited by Tackleberry270; 24-10-2014 at 21:56.

Pretty clear result so far...it may be a good thing to publish within the shooting organisations to spur them into actually acting on this.

any comments from BASC, CA, SGA etc?

regards,
    gixer

I selected that it needs challenging as it's just one more thing that makes us out to be a bad lot! However, personally, I have nothing to fear and I suspect that 99% of us are in the same position 99% of the time. It's the 1%s where the press will make hay, but either way the whole thing is flawed anyway as they have been given no additional rights of entry...

I see 3 obvious options if I get a knock on the door:
    1. Ask to see a warrant, laugh and let them in for a coffee, a chat and an inspection.
    2. Ask to see a warrant, then pleasantly suggest that they go away and get either get one or make an appointment.
    3. Get really snotty and ensure that they will make a note of this for future reference.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

My opinion - The real issue is the hotline to encourage anybody and everybody to report concerns. It will most likely backfire and cause more harm than good. There are already enough ways to report crime and the general public are already prejudiced and have many misconceptions about legally held firearms. This combined with police wanting to show they are doing something is a recipe for disaster. I think this has probably stemmed from real and genuine concerns within the organisations tasked with keeping us all safe but it is very poorly thought through.

why oh why do all the shooting organisations keep quiet when our need for unity is greater than ever.its not us thats the issue the country is awash with illegal firearms.we are not isis members .people who shoot targets ,deer ducks n geese have been checked out and had their security assessed and rechecked at renewal.the people who get brainwashed with drivel about dying for the cause get their guns from terrorists r us .the yugoslav war n various other conflicts have given britain a good supply of illegal and unlicensed automatic weapons.they dont have sgc or fac just a twisted view of the world to force on us at gunpoint.this is politicians being seen to do something by the press .making us suffer in the process.and BASC ,etc are not saying a lot to stop this carp happening.what next to have fac u keep the weapons at the police station or some other police state rubbish

pos due to this being the UK not the USA !!! SOFT SOFT SOFT just like the paper i use and that's what most of us feel but worry about saying it .

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    why oh why do all the shooting organisations keep quiet when our need for unity is greater than ever.its not us thats the issue the country is awash with illegal firearms.we are not isis members .people who shoot targets ,deer ducks n geese have been checked out and had their security assessed and rechecked at renewal.the people who get brainwashed with drivel about dying for the cause get their guns from terrorists r us .the yugoslav war n various other conflicts have given britain a good supply of illegal and unlicensed automatic weapons.they dont have sgc or fac just a twisted view of the world to force on us at gunpoint.this is politicians being seen to do something by the press .making us suffer in the process.and BASC ,etc are not saying a lot to stop this carp happening.what next to have fac u keep the weapons at the police station or some other police state rubbish

at the minute we are allowed an opinion but i do believe the thought police are recruiting as we speak.george orwell wasnt as far away from things was he.the pc brigade use various tools to degenerate anyone who dares to say what they disagree with ,although they themselves are guilty of extreme fascism with the way they want to control everyone else.

.... there is of course the issue of uniformed police officers turning up on the doorstep of licence holders. I am certain there are a fair few licence holders that don't like to cause a fuss and would not challenge or check a police officers credentials or reason for being there. The security implications of this are obvious and probably create more of an issue than having not had the campaign and used existing powers (that haven't been added to and changed anyway!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    My opinion - The real issue is the hotline to encourage anybody and everybody to report concerns. It will most likely backfire and cause more harm than good. There are already enough ways to report crime and the general public are already prejudiced and have many misconceptions about legally held firearms. This combined with police wanting to show they are doing something is a recipe for disaster. I think this has probably stemmed from real and genuine concerns within the organisations tasked with keeping us all safe but it is very poorly thought through.
    +1
    no problem with a security inspection, but it should be done by the FEO and/or a senior plain clothed officer if necessary. I think sending uniformed officers to carry out inspections sends the wrong signal.

40 members out of nearly 3000 active members think its worth voting for some type of action.

Maybe with so little responce ( so far ) that in itself is the clearest picture.

14 at this stage do not so hardly the minority some had portrayed..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...