Upgrade headlights / spotlights

buntinbee

Hi lads,

Just wondering if anyone can give any recommendations or advice on buying spot lamps for my car. I have a 2010 Toyota Hilux and pretty well delighted with everything except the headlights. Most of the time you can drive on full beam and no one even flashes you, even on full beam the lighting is pretty poor.

I have tried googling (my answer to just about everything and anything) but the more I read, the more confused I become, what with LED, IED and the bewildering choice of wattages etc. I’m not even sure if I would get away with changing the bulbs for a better type.

Just to be clear, it’s driving lights I am looking for advice on, not a handheld spot lamp.

Thanks, John

It doesn't help you at all, but the 2014 ones aren't much better, you'd have thought Toyota would have followed the trend for super shiny LED stuff. I'll be watching this for myself, as I'd normally just go up to Dingbro and getting higher wattage bulbs.
Still using your thumbsticks by the way !!

You have got the head lamp load adjuster turned up, set to 0?

Mine aren't too bad, but like you if there's something better please do tell?

Take the vehicle to get its head light alignment checked to ensure the beams are sitting correctly, if they are fine im am sure there would be no charge (ensure before you take it in).

I had mine adjusted on my car and it made a big difference.

good luck

Hi buntinbee, I've just received some HID headlights from Australia for my defender cost about £140, that's for everything all the wiring, ballast doo dahs and lens & reflectors. Got a pair of 55w HID spots (same wattage as headlights) off eBay for £45 and a 24000 lumen 50" led light bar (illegal for road use,ahem) I have NO PROBLEM seeing down country roads, in fact people start getting up for work when I go past. The light bar is unbelievably good , fox eyes at 5/600yds and it doesn't seem to bother them or rabbits, best £325 I've spent. There are HID piggy back kits (35w) going for about £120 on the net. Hope this gives you a few ideas. Danny.

I have an should surf that has a HID conversion in it... Bought it like that & I'm forever getting flashed people thinking I'm full beam but I'm not , seriously bright .... Had levels checked thinking set high but no fine ....
Wife's kia sorrento on other hand... Lights are fine but "self leveling". & on dip are too low a real bugger if on a road yer unfamiliar with ... Hardly lights up 25yds in front o the motor

Hid kits only work on headlights with proper projector lenses
not sure if the hilux has these

if it does do it!
best thing I ever fitted to my last car

If you retro fit HID kits to existing headlight units you run the risk of it failing an mot. As said above HID need a projector lens and self levelling units to be strictly legal as a standard headlight unit won't focus the beam and you'll end up looking like one of those chavved up Corsa types blinding everyone else with your super blue/white light.

I'm curious - If the HID light source is in the same location & orientation & uses the same reflector as the conventional bulb element surely the beam pattern will be the same - just brighter - Or am I missing summat & HID light doesn't obey the same set of physics rules as tungsten light? :-|

Ian

I don't know the physics behind it but I know what the current MOT testers are supposed to check and the reasons behind it, something to do with the wavelength of the light . You only have to look at a new car with HID lights at night and they're nice and crisp bright light but not blinding to oncomming traffic compared to the old cars that have had them fitted to the existing light cluster and it's more of a bright glow that dazzles. If people constantly flash you at night then something isn't right.

I may be wrong but I think that the MOT checks for "Type approval" or something like that plus the pattern of light projected has to be within the legal limits on the car being inspected. It is nothing to do with the colour of the light.

Ian

You're right, the colour, more blue or purple is found a a higher wavelength of the light spectrum which is linked to the higher intensity or brightness.

If the beam fits the NOT test pattern then it should pass, it's just less likely to with retrofitted HID bulbs unless the lights are angled close down which then defeats the purpose of fitting them.

HID bulbs are brighter and when the scattering from the standard reflector and any imperfection on standard headlight glass is seen from oncoming traffic it appears to be as bright or more horizontally directed full beam.
Projector lenses focus the beam much more than a conventional mirror backed reflector and also allow the OEM fitted self levelling mechanism to adjust height as the suspension moves up and down

that said I ran a car for 4 years with aftermarket 4300K HID in the OEM projector lenses and passed the MOT's every time
without having the OEM self levelling devices fitted.
just make sure they point where they are meant to!

If you choose hid upgrade kits, get the lower temperature ones, 4300k or thereabouts rather than 6-7000k, the higher temp ones are the ones that look bluer. I've had hids on my bike for years and they're the best upgrade I've ever done. Need to get some spots for the landcruiser to upgrade the headlights. To pass an mot, hid headlights are required to be self levelling

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions lads and glad the thumbsticks are still in use Malxwal. Lots of food for thought and even more trawling around google checking stuff out – confusing myself even more…. Stugun, I’ve E mailed www.hids-direct.co.uk to find out what their recommendations are as well, so I will report what they come up with too.
Regarding the alignment, I’m pretty sure that’s ok, it’s just that Toyota seem to have put in these bloody energy saving bulbs. A wee bit worried about all the technical aspects and legalities of the HID stuff, would hate to have to do the job twice after an MOT.
Once I get it all sorted out I’ll report what I end up with and how much of a difference it all makes.

Thanks again, John

Back