Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Costings on R700 Blueprint etc ??

Costings on R700 Blueprint etc ??

I know that Blueprinting a rifle dosnt have a set in stone list of whats done and one smith will do certain things while an other will do different things

but to take a R700 Short action True it up including fit a new custom barrel is there any idea on costings as for what is supposed to be std work at least to the individual smith
    I can find very little pricing and the few that do seems very (far) to cheap.

I would expect to have the Gunsmith supply the Action as the easiest route

lead times with still some months before Dorset look at my application is it worth getting in a queue early plus have an idea how much to save up

maybe a custom made remmy clone action (needs to fit Remington after market stocks) would be a better bet ??

ATB

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    I know that Blueprinting a rifle dosnt have a set in stone list of whats done and one smith will do certain things while an other will do different things

but to take a R700 Short action True it up including fit a new custom barrel is there any idea on costings as for what is supposed to be std work at least to the individual smith
    I can find very little pricing and the few that do seems very (far) to cheap.

I would expect to have the Gunsmith supply the Action as the easiest route

lead times with still some months before Dorset look at my application is it worth getting in a queue early plus have an idea how much to save up

maybe a custom made remmy clone action (needs to fit Remington after market stocks) would be a better bet ??

ATB

Duncan
    I would guess a few will use a Manson tool to carry out some the work, or you could use a Mandrel to chase the threads, face up the action and skim the lugs and polish the raceways, this will take a bit longer but it may well not be necessary to do it. As for costings, I guess eveyone is different.

Ive done quite a few Rem 700 now and not once have I trued the action or skimmed the lugs, I have used an over sized recoil lug and cut the tennon thread to a tight tolerence, again, ive not experienced any issues or had any complaints about accuracy.

There are SO many semi and full custom rifles for sale some of which have never been fired, just look at the classifieds here or UKV

I fail to see the benefit either from an accuracy potential or from a personal aesthetics viewpoint in starting from scratch with a Rem700

what are you trying to achieve and what will you be using it for?
    As you detail "application" rather than "variation" I am guessing this will be your first rifle and you want it to be special.
    Trust me..it may be your first....but I guarantee it won't be the last!
    The more you tailor it to your own flavours the more money you will likely lose when it comes to selling it.
    A full custom 20" barrelled, 6.5-284 in R700 clone action bedded in a candy pink left hand, thumbhole stock with bluetooth kestrel built in......may not sell as well as a ...something more generic when you change your mind

Get one that fits and shoots and learn to shoot it better before you go down the route of trying to wring the extra 0.1MOA out of a custom rig.
    Unless of course you have money to burn

Your price tag will come from the components you choose and the person who is building it for you.
    As will the time scale.

A blueprint will add 250 ish to the cost of any rebarrel cost.

Is it worth it on a Rem - yes if you intend to keep it and you own the action anyway, though you may not recover the cost of the blueprint if you sell it on…like any other factory made rifle (be that Sako, Tikka, Howa, CZ, Win, Rem, ,,,,) it isn't a custom action so won't retain value.

Accuracy benefit - yes it should shoot more consistently, therefore more accurately.

I wouldn't consider doing a blueprint unless part of a build. (like several others)

I have a blueprinted 700 that shoots as well as any in my own stalking rifle "battery", its a keeper.

How more accurate would it shoot? My 243, remy 700, shoots groups of .37 inch with 105gr a max reloads. It has a jewell trigger on it and that is the only after market thing, everything else is as was when it came out the factory.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    A blueprint will add 250 ish to the cost of any rebarrel cost.

Is it worth it on a Rem - yes if you intend to keep it and you own the action anyway, though you may not recover the cost of the blueprint if you sell it on…like any other factory made rifle (be that Sako, Tikka, Howa, CZ, Win, Rem, ,,,,) it isn't a custom action so won't retain value.

Accuracy benefit - yes it should shoot more consistently, therefore more accurately.

I wouldn't consider doing a blueprint unless part of a build. (like several others)

I have a blueprinted 700 that shoots as well as any in my own stalking rifle "battery", its a keeper.

thank you gives a rough Idea Rebarrel seems to be in 600 ish area

so maybe 1000 to cover extras

plus an action to work on

it would be a Full build but he stock i want is only avalible in 3 actions and the R700 is the only one I want out of the 3 (ie the T3 is a long action even for short Carts)

ATB

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    How more accurate would it shoot? My 243, remy 700, shoots groups of .37 inch with 105gr a max reloads. It has a jewell trigger on it and that is the only after market thing, everything else is as was when it came out the factory.

Al

not so much more accurate Stalking accuracy is pretty lax ie the 4" @100 being suitable

But for the cal and cartridge barrel length twist I want to use etc its pretty much a Re barrel so if not silly extra money might as well true it up to do it later if needed would need a new barrel again anyway
    ie Ive taken the engine out and stripped it be daft not to replace the Gaskets and cam belt etc while its easy now

of course if a std non Blueprint R700 comes up in 6.5 x 47 (or .260" Rem) with an 18" fluted threaded med Profile 1 in 8 Twist Barrel then yeh

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    There are SO many semi and full custom rifles for sale some of which have never been fired, just look at the classifieds here or UKV

I fail to see the benefit either from an accuracy potential or from a personal aesthetics viewpoint in starting from scratch with a Rem700

what are you trying to achieve and what will you be using it for?
    As you detail "application" rather than "variation" I am guessing this will be your first rifle and you want it to be special.
    Trust me..it may be your first....but I guarantee it won't be the last!
    The more you tailor it to your own flavours the more money you will likely lose when it comes to selling it.
    A full custom 20" barrelled, 6.5-284 in R700 clone action bedded in a candy pink left hand, thumbhole stock with bluetooth kestrel built in......may not sell as well as a ...something more generic when you change your mind

Get one that fits and shoots and learn to shoot it better before you go down the route of trying to wring the extra 0.1MOA out of a custom rig.
    Unless of course you have money to burn

Your price tag will come from the components you choose and the person who is building it for you.
    As will the time scale.

New first my own gun yes but I have been shooting a while just new to stalking
    and Yes I am one who likes to use 1 Gun for everything and shoot it well
    I may add a second but it will be complimentary and because this one is not the best for the job ie Boar or bigger stuff if that ever happens may not

I would rather spend a bit more now on the right gun (IMO ) than buy a gun I intend to sell later at a loss etc or several before buying one that I want

DONT waste your money on getting any work done on the action because if you think about it financially by the time you buy the action and get the truing work done on it you should of just spent a bit more and bought a custom action .

dont do it buy custom once.

regards chris

Buy a Tikka and don't worry about having it blue-printed. Why buy a rifle that is needing blue-printing? All my Tikkas are sub MOA from the box.~Muir