Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female Shooter intimidation.

Female Shooter intimidation.

My girl friend and I went to the range last evening so that she could get in some practice and, when we arrived, the last ditch hunters were there, blowing the dust off of their hunting rifles and firing a few shots from their Caldwell Lead Sleds to check their zero. This is the small group of towneys who are never seen at the range except for the night before the season opens. When the cease fire was called I walked down and set up a life-sized doe target at the 100M mark.

When the range was declared hot, my Lady uncased her 6.5x55 and got a case guard full of ammo from the truck. She was instantly beset with offers to use several of the rests that the guys were using but she declined saying she was shooting off hand. As she chambered the first round and mounted the rifle I heard someone say "She's shooting off hand?? S--t!" She fired and I called the shot 2" above the heart. She fired again and I called that 4" above the last. The next I called 3" right of the last. I could hear the muttering from the guys. Suddenly there was the "Fwump! Fwump! Fwumpfwump! Varoom!" of pickup doors slamming and trucks pulling out.

My hunting buddy who accompanied us just laughed, suggesting those guys didn't like being showed-up by a woman. My girl friend just grinned. I think she enjoyed that notion.~Muir

Good for her Muir, i'm pleased she got under their collar's. Sounds like you may have to practice more soon?

I can picture her smiling sweetly

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    I can picture her smiling sweetly

John
    That was her!
    Yeah. I may need more practice....~Muir

Reminds me of the old golfer's prayer:

Lord, I thank you for encouraging my wife to take up golf and I beseech you to ensure she does not become better than me

Andy, What's she like with a skinni'n knife?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

my sister shoots
    mostly scoped .270, now a scoped 308
    she was offered a shot on a chaps vintage, iron sighted, black powder, .45 or .50cal rifle at 600 yds.

one shot
    she hit the VBull (the centre 5" bull within the bull for those that havent seen one!)

took him a long time to speak to her after that!

My good lady wife had a similar experience when she shot sport trap some years ago. Joined a group of guys who instantly took it upon them selves to explain the rules and where the targets would be coming from. The group grew quieter and quieter the longer she shot. Incidentaly beating them all. As they packed up to go, one asked if she had ever shot the discipline before? Her reply all but finished them off. "I'm Buckinhamsire ladies champion".At that one of the louder guys fumed, "you never told us that!"
    Her reply,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    "you never asked". Priceless!

i never offer advice now without finding out whether it's wanted! Love to see ladies shooting too!

WHAT, women can actually shoot and even hit a target... Ban them i say?

Quote Originally Posted by buckup View Post
    My good lady wife had a similar experience when she shot sport trap some years ago. Joined a group of guys who instantly took it upon them selves to explain the rules and where the targets would be coming from. The group grew quieter and quieter the longer she shot. Incidentaly beating them all. As they packed up to go, one asked if she had ever shot the discipline before? Her reply all but finished them off. "I'm Buckinhamsire ladies champion".At that one of the louder guys fumed, "you never told us that!"
    Her reply,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    "you never asked". Priceless!

i never offer advice now without finding out whether it's wanted! Love to see ladies shooting too!
    Nice for her. One of my co-workers at a gun shop was Marguerite Everhart. She was the US (World?) 500M Metallic Silhouette champ, and the US 100m .22 Silhouette Champ back in the mid eighties: sponsored by Sierra and CCI. She caught more than one unsuspecting joker trying to offer the 'little lady' shooting pointers. She'd proceed to stand up and knock over 30 consecutive targets at 500M, off hand, with a 308. That sent them packing.~Muir