Hornady SST's

shotguntom

Im just wondering what other peoples experiences are with these bullets?

I use them in my .270 in 130gr and have found on the larger fallow bucks I'm shooting (55+Kg) that they are not exiting. They are very fast at 3200fps and with the plastic tip i was initially worried about excess meat damage.

Tom

Tom same here on reds, slow them down and see how you get on then, I have dropped to 2800fps I had no issues till I upped the speeds, atb wayne

In .308 I find the 150gr always exit on chest shots.

.243Win 95gr at 3200fps do not (though do on neck shots.)

Perform well for me in both cases.

Just bought a box of 6.5mm 123gr SST's yesterday. I'm interested to see how they work. They apparently have the same profile as the 123gr A-Max.

Will load owe some up today.

In 130 .270 they are very accurate in my rifle but I stick with the interlock soft points.
not convinced about the damage when hitting bone first

found them a bit messy compared to the soft point interlock

What calibre are you sending them through? I have bought some 123's to try through my 6.5x47L, once its built. I have previously fired .308W 165sst and .243W in 95sst in the past and they are a lovely accurate bullet. I also have some new 150sst to try for the .308W
Just bought a box of 6.5mm 123gr SST's yesterday. I'm interested to see how they work. They apparently have the same profile as the 123gr A-Max.

Will load owe some up today.

What calibre are you sending them through? I have bought some 123's to try through my 6.5x47L, once its built. I have previously fired .308W 165sst and .243W in 95sst in the past and they are a lovely accurate bullet. I also have some new 150sst to try for the .308W

260rem. Should be running at 2850-2900 fps. Bought them because I couldn't get 120gr BT's.

I agree with what bewher is saying I have stopped using sst in my 270 im having no problems with the 130 hornady sp on red stags this year and on some big fallow bucks .I have got a box of 130 sst if anybody is after some
Phill

My hunting buddy used a 165 grain SST last year in his 30-06 to take a decent mule deer at 200 yards. Due to the acute angle, the shot entered behind the right rear-most rib and penetrated through the chest cavity and ended up under the hide between the forelegs. Needless to say the deer fell in it's tracks. My daughter uses them in her 30-06 with no ill effects. My girl friend will be using 140 grain SST's in the 6.5x55 this season.~Muir

Loading 129sst in 6.5x55 have accurate load with two different powders. Yet to put over chrono but one shoots 2" higher than the other. Quick load predicts 2750 for the faster load and 2680 for the slower. What maximum speed would you recommend to stop problem as spoken of above. Thinking of using them on reds and fallow.
cheers for help

BE

I use the 150g SST in my 270 and run them at around 2800fps and I get exits every time. No real problem with meat damage either.

What maximum speed would you recommend to stop problem as spoken of above. Thinking of using them on reds and fallow.
cheers for help

BE

this is kind of my point
why use a bullet you have to download to avoid detrimental damage?
what it suddenly have to shoot one at 20 yds?
what I'd you have to shoot one at 300yds but are now shooting something quite loopy and don't have your drops nailed?

i don't drive my 270 that quick but dropping it to 2700-2800fps to be sure of bullet penetration and keep them together defeats the purpose of having a case that takes 60gr of powder.
1/2" of accuracy isn't reason enough to use them over interlocks IMO

Found them very accurate in a 308, but ballistic tip type damage for a chest shot. Using sierra gameking now, same result for deer but less fragmentation.

Use 129sst's in my .260 on fallow, always get a decent exit even on the bucks. Had a couple with a bit excessive damage but usually no probes.

I've been biased against these projectiles for more than a decade. I've only ever witnessed catastrophic bullet failure twice, once with the 270 wby & 130 grn ballistic tips on shoulder shots on fallow & 225 grn SST's in a 338 win mag, on large european red deer with similar shoulder shot placement. I still use ballistic tips in 180 grn in 30 06 on pigs & on deer to 140 kg, but I have no faith in SST's on anything but varmints.

Sharkey

John ' Pondoro' Taylor, didn't want any of his bullets to exit the animal, as he reckoned that it just wasted its muzzle energy on the surrounding countryside. I know that a lot of stalkers like an exit wound in order to have a good blood trail to follow, but if the animal drops where it's stood then there's no follow up.

Back