Thread: Bavarian mountain hound and hanoverian hounds

Bavarian mountain hound and hanoverian hounds

Hi all
    Just been watching a programme on the yesterday channel about the highlands and part of it was showing the use of dogs for finding lost people who have gotten into difficulties on the hill, this got me to thinking do the hanoverians and bavarians get used for this kind of work anywhere? Surely due to the excellent tracking ability of the breeds they would be very capable members of a mountain rescue team .
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Yes , they do , there is a group in Germany

Hi Rudi
    Great to hear from you and thanks for the reply I couldn't see why they wouldn't be
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

I was talking to a top rescue chap and he has collies. I asked why not use a dedicated hound. He said that they tend to work with out thinking head down and gone. They need a dog that can find and use its own initiative covering large areas on there own but still under full control of the handler. They also normally bark constant when they find this could cause further snow slides and could stress out the person stuck. Just his thought he said a few other things but I will leave them out of the post jimmy as they might offend sensitive owners..

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    I was talking to a top rescue chap and he has collies. I asked why not use a dedicated hound. He said that they tend to work with out thinking head down and gone. They need a dog that can find and use its own initiative covering large areas on there own but still under full control of the handler. They also normally bark constant when they find this could cause further snow slides and could stress out the person stuck. Just his thought he said a few other things but I will leave them out of the post jimmy as they might offend sensitive owners..

They use collies in the Lake District. They're pretty cool to watch work.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

When i was a boy we used to hide out for the SARDA dogs on the hill, all collies then, but that was 30yrs ago.

Generally they quarter the hillside air secenting for people rather than following a track, since i have learned more about dogs i have always wondered why they don't now use HPR's or english pointers/setters. They seem ideally suited for it but possibly to harder to train than colies.
    Was asking a mountain rescue boy at the grouse the other week about it and still all collies

I suppose it would be difficult to use a tracking dog, because there may not be much of a last known whereabouts to work from. The dog could spend hours tracking the wrong person. That's just speculation.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I did a few years ago test with the Belgian police to see the diffirence in work , a very good expirience . In south Tirol some are jused as recuedog and in some parts off Germany the are jused for mantrailling ;

Our very old (15yrs) GSP was a lowland search and rescue dog. V good tracker and had 3 solo finds over an 8yr career. By no means a knock on collies but he would keep going what ever the weather when they had lost interest. He could also ground track as well as air scent which when its raining and or windy is a huge plus. I can understand the not using a hound.......but an hpr though...........?