Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: yukon photon setting up.(users of the photons advice please)

  1. #1
    SD Regular bobjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tidworth/on here/or at Downton Abbey.
    Posts
    8,826
    Blog Entries
    5
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

    yukon photon setting up.(users of the photons advice please)

    ok lads.

    who has one set up at the mo on a 17 hmr,

    me and a shooting bud on here (steve) have set his up and im just waiting for mine to get here,

    we set steves up at 35 yards (as i use this range when setting up a 17 with a normal scope)and we had a cracking small group that we where happy with, found this a bit tricky with the doubler on it and the ir was a bit overpowering at 35 yards

    We then went out to 100 yards and found that it was shooting about 2" right and 2" high, we re-zerod it and have been happy to take on bunnies out to 120 yards and a wee bit more.

    what i am asking is this,

    is there a best/better range to zero at that will then let you shoot out to say 150 yards etc. I think trying to hit a 1" white square at 100 yards with the unit could be a bit tricky for me.I am looking at a range no more than 150 max.


    kit i will have is this

    photon 5 x 42 MK1
    1.7 mag doubler and adaptor
    mark610 T20 ir torch

    last but not least Steve said the daytime image is very good with the lens cap on etc ,I have not looked through it in daylight as yet ? have you used it in the day time to shoot/zero etc, and if so how did you and it perform.

    cheers

    bob.


    almost forgot.

    if you zero at night or day time did the POI change when used in the opposite hunting mode; ie zero in day light and you where off when shooting in nv mod at night and viseversa...if you know what i mean,
    Last edited by bobjs; 26-10-2014 at 11:41.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

    Living with Lupus - YouTube

  2. #2
    Hi Bob

    Cant comment on it on a 17, but mines on a 22 and I did zero it in daylight with no issues, it still hits same spot at night, Ive used it a couple of times at last light and its ok...Biggest issue for me has been judging distances. Few times Ive known the rabbit is at say 70m but through the scope I would have put it at 50m.

  3. #3
    SD Regular bobjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tidworth/on here/or at Downton Abbey.
    Posts
    8,826
    Blog Entries
    5
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Hi D

    thank you

    I'll set mine up in daylight me thinks, it will help me eliminate the human error (i hope)

    thanks

    bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

    Living with Lupus - YouTube

  4. #4
    Bob. Get a butler creek to fit the objective, and put a 30mm hole in and keep that on, it improves the picture and makes it less focus fussy
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

    Home | Varminting UK

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    ok lads.

    who has one set up at the mo on a 17 hmr,

    me and a shooting bud on here (steve) have set his up and im just waiting for mine to get here,

    we set steves up at 35 yards (as i use this range when setting up a 17 with a normal scope)and we had a cracking small group that we where happy with, found this a bit tricky with the doubler on it and the ir was a bit overpowering at 35 yards

    We then went out to 100 yards and found that it was shooting about 2" right and 2" high, we re-zerod it and have been happy to take on bunnies out to 120 yards and a wee bit more.

    what i am asking is this,

    is there a best/better range to zero at that will then let you shoot out to say 150 yards etc. I think trying to hit a 1" white square at 100 yards with the unit could be a bit tricky for me.I am looking at a range no more than 150 max.


    kit i will have is this

    photon 5 x 42 MK1
    1.7 mag doubler and adaptor
    mark610 T20 ir torch

    last but not least Steve said the daytime image is very good with the lens cap on etc ,I have not looked through it in daylight as yet ? have you used it in the day time to shoot/zero etc, and if so how did you and it perform.

    cheers

    bob.


    almost forgot.

    if you zero at night or day time did the POI change when used in the opposite hunting mode; ie zero in day light and you where off when shooting in nv mod at night and viseversa...if you know what i mean,

    i have the MK 1 photon and zeroed at 50 for the LR in day light with the cap supplied I now have zeroed at 75 yds at it is bang on, the IR I use is the pulsar 850 and that suites the scope down to the ground, the when I used a doubler it needed re zeroing have since taken that off and use the scope on its own have no problem with any of the kit. Apparently the 850 had a filter on it but it does the job on the mk1

    got the mk2 when it come out, works a treat, it is more affected by daylight and you need the front filter cover on to use it during the daytime, I sold the MK2 to my mate for his WMR and it is subbing .50 at a hundred that's with the digital reticule, I have gone back to the MK 1 on the LR and WMR as they suit me and have an external power jack point which is superb for long haul nights

    good luck

    phil

  6. #6
    1st used mine on .308 zeroed at 2" black splash dot target at 100yrds daylight , then on the 17 zeroed done it at night 75yrds on a box with a lamp inside it so i zeroed on spot from lamp showing inside the box. now on .22 done this at 50 yrds in daylight no probs used splash targets. i have a fishing reel locking ring added so make it better to focus the front ring look up Nylon Breakaway Coasters.

  7. #7
    SD Regular bobjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tidworth/on here/or at Downton Abbey.
    Posts
    8,826
    Blog Entries
    5
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    thank you all so much.

    just back in from checking out the hole in the flip up thing and it works a treat.

    sadly i have lost out on the ebay one by 35 seconds (a bl00dy fix) if you ask me, a mate was bidding on it for me and it was a steel.

    i have seen the coaster thing used before so ill keep looking around for another one.

    thanks

    ps: my ir lamp has just the one setting, does anyone use one with 2 or 3 settings for close mid and longer range illumination,

    bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

    Living with Lupus - YouTube

  8. #8
    Philip which has the better range and clarity the mk1 or the mk2? I am not sure what to get yet.

  9. #9
    may have another in my fishing sea box i'll have a dig around if i'v got one ill pm you for your info again bob



    Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    thank you all so much.

    just back in from checking out the hole in the flip up thing and it works a treat.

    sadly i have lost out on the ebay one by 35 seconds (a bl00dy fix) if you ask me, a mate was bidding on it for me and it was a steel.

    i have seen the coaster thing used before so ill keep looking around for another one.

    thanks

    ps: my ir lamp has just the one setting, does anyone use one with 2 or 3 settings for close mid and longer range illumination,

    bob.

  10. #10
    SD Regular bobjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tidworth/on here/or at Downton Abbey.
    Posts
    8,826
    Blog Entries
    5
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    may have another in my fishing sea box i'll have a dig around if i'v got one ill pm you for your info again bob
    cheers big man.

    Im still looking for a photon, i missed one for 270 Paul and that would have made my day had i got that.

    hope the family are well sir.

    bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

    Living with Lupus - YouTube

Similar Threads

  1. yukon photon
    By exmarksman9870 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20-10-2014, 20:12
  2. *SOLD* Yukon Photon
    By Lucky Sniper in forum Optics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-09-2014, 20:28
  3. Yukon Photon
    By white van man in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-12-2013, 20:45
  4. yukon photon
    By wraith in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-10-2013, 09:14
  5. *SOLD* Yukon Photon
    By Wsm in forum Optics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 21-10-2013, 17:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •