Thread: quandary

quandary

Just been informed by a family member that they are wanting to leave a rifle to me in their will.
    Problem is, the rifle is in the same calibre as one that I already have on my ticket. My question is fo anyone hsve any experience of this and also what would be the likely responce from the police if I where to ask to keep them both?

Thanks,

Bulwinkle

I've never had a problem with two in the same calibre. Saying that Surrey Police are a bit more common sense than some others.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Just put in for a variation and tell them it's for a dedicated NV rifle.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Some forces have a problem with it, while others are OK with it, had a problem with it in the past when one was my personal rifle, and one was supplied to me by my employer, they were quite happy to grant me for several full bore
    rifles so long as they were different calibers, but not two of the same, eventually they came round but it took a bit of
    negotiating .

Suggest you talk it over with your FEO in advance, explain the situation and why you want to have them both if you can present a reasonable argument for both you should be OK.

Or have it re-barrelled in another calibre
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Some forces have a problem with it, while others are OK with it, had a problem with it in the past when one was my personal rifle, and one was supplied to me by my employer, they were quite happy to grant me for several full bore
    rifles so long as they were different calibers, but not two of the same, eventually they came round but it took a bit of
    negotiating .

Suggest you talk it over with your FEO in advance, explain the situation and why you want to have them both if you can present a reasonable argument for both you should be OK.

Home office guidelines (which they have to follow now or paperwork) states that 2 of the same cal should be allowed if they are one for work one for you

pretty sure it also says that in general more than one should not be a problem have a read thro and use that if its a problem

myriad of reasons

target specific (i.e paper)
    quarry specific (i.e. two loads, two scopes, deer and boar, fox and deer)
    range specific (woodland open sights, hubble scope hill work)
    NV specific as stated

or heaven forbid you should just want another!!
    I have 3x .270, 3x .22lr, 2x 30cal on my FAC
    all justified all granted without fuss

my father has a few in the same calibre, police always asks 'why', and he simply states that he wants to have a back-up rifle for the same calibre and ammo in case of a servicing issue with his main hunting rifle. works fine and is a very genuine reason.

I think Fettes will be much less amenable from now, based on recent conversations. They are under a lot of pressure to toe someone's line, and I think getting this sort of variation through will start to become extremely difficult. I have even been given a (genuinely friendly) warning that I may have to do more to justify having .243 and .308 come renewal time.

I have a couple of .22's. Told the FAO that one is dedicated for Night Vision. Without it you would need to keep swapping between daytime scopes and NV scope and hence all the re zeroing problems. They were happy with that reason