Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proofed rifles

Proofed rifles

I was wondering how many unproofed stalking rifles are out there in the UK (have we ever looked. .?), and have possibly bought one unaware. ......
    Do you feel it really matters to see the stamp or engraving, or do you just want to go out and shoot and get on with the job that matters to us here.......ie stalking.

I can't imagine there'll be that many in the UK. May I ask what brought this on? Has your rifle not been through proof?

Both of my Sako TRG's have never seen the inside of a British proof house. That's fine by me, saves having that bnp graffiti on them
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

you can build, own and shoot an unproofed rifle, you just can't legally sell it

PKL, that is the point of the post indirectly. I'm sure some target rifles are in the same position. ....but stalking rifles may get overlooked as more and more custom rifles become stalking rifles.

Interesting thread...so, what if a shop GIVES a customer an unproofed Rifle/Shotgun/Firearm, then how does it stand with the letter of the law???

I'm of the understanding that ANY transfer of ANY firearm must be proofed.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    To be offered for sale a firearm must be proofed but an unproofed firearm may be gifted to someone.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

The question is what happens once you've purchased a firearm second hand and it is un proofed? Who is liable for the re proofing - the guy who handed it in to the rfd, the rfd to rfd transfer (take your pick) or your rfd who signed it on your ticket?

If you do receive a firearm as a gift, Does said gift need a receipt stating such to cover you for future.....?